How should I split MX$648,000 of cash left after closing?

WorthyVale

Homeowner
Established
Keeping the full MX$648,000 untouched would leave the move and basic setup unfunded, but spending freely on a four-bedroom apartment would make the first repair or mortgage payment uncomfortable. I am trying to find a sensible middle ground.

After several rejected offers, we have had one accepted at about MX$20,160,000 for a serviced apartment in Mexico City. The remaining cash estimate is after the deposit and expected closing expenses, although the inspection could still identify work needed soon after completion.

What should be ring-fenced before setting budgets for moving, repairs and furniture? I am particularly unsure how much should remain available until I have confirmed the inspection findings, the service charges and the exact date and amount of the first mortgage payment. Buying below our maximum was meant to leave some breathing room, not fill every room immediately.
 
I would not divide it until you know your full monthly carrying cost. Ring-fence the emergency fund first, including mortgage payments and service charges, then create smaller moving and repair pots. Furniture comes last; a 4-bed apartment does not need to be completely furnished on day one. Also confirm when the first mortgage payment and service charge are actually due.
 
Does the MX$648,000 already allow for insurance and any applicable excess, or are those still coming from the same balance? I would also ask what the service charge covers and whether any building work is planned. A clean unit inspection does not necessarily mean there are no shared-building expenses ahead.
 
I partly disagree with choosing a standard emergency-fund target before the inspection. At this stage, list the known cash events in date order: final closing adjustments, moving, first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance, and urgent inspection items. Reserve for those first. Whatever remains can become the general emergency fund; otherwise you may label too much as untouchable and then borrow for predictable costs.
 
One addition to my earlier point: separate urgent repairs from cosmetic work. Safety, leaks or anything that could worsen belongs in the first category. Paint, upgraded fittings and filling every bedroom can wait. Ask the inspector to help distinguish between work needed immediately, within the first year, and merely desirable work, then obtain prices before assigning the repair amount.
 
MX$648,000 is about 3.2% of the purchase price, so it is meaningful cash but could disappear quickly if it must cover every category. I would proceed only after making a simple worst-case first-year budget using the inspection findings and confirmed recurring charges. Keep a protected emergency portion, fund the move modestly, address urgent repairs, and furnish in phases. If that leaves no comfortable margin, buying slightly below the maximum is the sensible conclusion rather than an overly cautious one.
 
Back
Top