How to frame a 13% below-asking offer on a Birmingham detached home

ember.full

Homeowner
Established
If I overpay, I cannot undo that by negotiating harder after the survey. I’m looking at a detached Birmingham home listed for £1,049,000 and considering an opening offer of £912,630, which is 13% lower. It needs modernising and has sat on the market for 85 days. Similar nearby homes are advertised around the same level, although the completed transactions I can find are too limited to give me confidence in the seller’s figure.

I can show that finance is available and can accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timetable. Would you present the offer simply as my valuation based on condition and the evidence available, or include an estimated updating cost? I do not want to make the price more appealing by weakening the survey or valuation protections, and I am particularly wary of putting the deposit at risk.
 
The number is not inherently insulting if it is genuinely your valuation rather than a negotiating stunt. Keep the explanation short: condition, limited completed-sale evidence and the amount of updating required. Then emphasise financing evidence and flexibility.

I would not attach a long list of defects before a survey. It invites an argument about every item instead of a decision on the price.
 
Has the asking price already been reduced during those 85 days, and do you know whether the property is vacant or part of a chain? Those details could say more about seller motivation than time on the market alone.

I’d also ask the agent which completed sales the seller relied on. They may not disclose motivation, but the answer could reveal whether the price is anchored to actual transactions or competing listings.
 
I’m less convinced than annar41 that the percentage will be taken neutrally. If comparable asking prices are close, 13% below may simply look speculative, particularly if the updating was obvious when the list price was set.

That does not mean you should offer more than the house is worth to you. It means the offer should be presented as firm, credible and subject to the normal due diligence—not as a low starting point you expect to raise immediately.
 
Be careful with US-style language about contingencies. In England, an accepted offer is generally still subject to contract while the survey, mortgage valuation and conveyancing proceed. The important point is not to exchange contracts until your solicitor is satisfied, your funding is confirmed and you understand the survey findings.

I would not waive a survey or commit to cover an unlimited valuation shortfall. Also clarify exactly when any deposit becomes at risk rather than treating money sent with an initial offer as a sign of seriousness.
 
On financing proof, an agreement in principle may help demonstrate that the offer is real, but there is no need to circulate more financial information than the agent reasonably needs. Your conveyancer can advise how funds should be evidenced.

I would avoid an artificial same-day deadline. Give a clear, reasonable response date so the offer cannot be left hanging indefinitely, while recognising that the seller may need time to discuss it.
 
Decide your valuation-gap limit now. If the lender later values the property below the agreed price, how much extra cash—if any—would you be willing to contribute without undermining the renovation budget?

The same discipline applies to repairs. Do not reduce the opening offer for visible updating and then automatically seek another reduction for those identical items. Revisit the price only if the survey uncovers material issues you could not reasonably see.
 
I’d submit it in three parts: the exact offer of £912,630; the reasons, limited to condition and the evidence available from completed comparables; and the strengths of your position, namely financing evidence and flexible completion. State that it remains subject to contract, satisfactory survey, valuation, funding and legal work.

Before sending it, ask about previous reductions, the chain and the seller’s preferred timing. If the agent says the price will not be entertained, you can still leave the offer on the table with a response date rather than negotiating against yourself.
 
Back
Top