How to frame a 3% under-asking offer on a Bogotá detached home?

field.full

Buyer
Established
If I misread the seller’s position, I could either overpay or weaken protections just to win the property. I’m a first-time buyer considering a two-bedroom detached home in Bogotá at COP 3,649,000,000. It has been listed for 69 days and requires updating. Nearby listings have comparable asking figures, but I have little completed-sale evidence showing what buyers have paid.

My proposed price is COP 3,539,530,000, or 3% under asking. Financing is ready and I can offer a choice of completion dates. How should I present the price as a serious evidence-based offer rather than criticism of the home? The agent is also pressing me to waive a contingency without being clear which one, and I do not want my inspection, financing or deposit position exposed unnecessarily.
 
Three percent below does not sound inherently aggressive. Present it as a serious offer based on the updating required and limited evidence from completed comparables, not as a criticism of the property. Include financing proof, your flexible completion position and a clear response deadline. Strong presentation matters more than trying to justify every peso.
 
What exactly does the agent mean by “waive it”? Inspection, financing, appraisal, or something else? Those carry very different risks. I would also ask whether the seller has a preferred completion date and whether there is any indication of why they are selling. Flexibility is only valuable if it solves their particular problem.
 
For a detached home needing updates, I would retain inspection protection. I would also keep financing and appraisal protections unless you can comfortably cover a valuation shortfall yourself. Make sure the contract clearly states when your deposit could become exposed and under what conditions it is returned; that wording should be reviewed locally rather than assumed.
 
You have checked the 69-day listing period and nearby asking prices, but neither reveals why the home remains available. A long marketing period could reflect overpricing, or simply a seller who has no urgent reason to move; other active listings may be overpriced as well.

Ask for the closest completed transactions and have the agent identify any seller priority, such as timing, that your offer can address. That gives you firmer support for the 3% reduction than days on market alone.
 
Separate cosmetic updating from defects discovered during inspection. The dated condition can support your initial 3% reduction, but avoid presenting a huge speculative renovation budget. If inspection later finds genuine problems, discuss specific repairs or credits then. Otherwise the seller may feel you are trying to discount the same issue twice.
 
A response deadline is useful, but I would not make it so short that it looks theatrical. Give the seller a workable period to respond, state that your financing evidence is ready, and offer them a choice of reasonable completion dates. That makes the offer feel organised without surrendering protection.
 
The agent’s vague reference to another buyer would not make me waive anything. Ask which term the supposed buyer is willing to waive and whether there is actually another written offer, recognising that the agent may not be able to disclose details. Compete with certainty and convenience, not with an undefined risk.
 
Do not overlook the appraisal gap. Even if financing is expected to be straightforward, a lender’s valuation may not match COP 3,539,530,000. Decide now whether a shortfall would lead you to renegotiate, withdraw where the contract permits, or contribute more cash. An unlimited promise to cover any gap would undermine the protection you are trying to preserve.
 
Oddly, a long list explaining why the house is worth less may antagonise the seller more than the 3% itself. I’d keep the message short: the offer reflects the current condition and the limited completed-sale evidence, while your financing and completion flexibility make it credible. If challenged, you can provide more detail rather than opening with a repair indictment.
 
Mia’s question is the key one. Financing proof should demonstrate that the offer is real; it does not have to mean waiving the financing condition. I’d ask the agent to confirm the seller’s preferred timing and which contingency is supposedly causing concern before changing any terms.
 
Also pin down the deposit before signing: amount, payment timing, who holds it, and every circumstance in which it may be retained or returned. Those details depend on the actual Bogotá contract and transaction structure, so independent local legal review is worthwhile. A 3% saving is not attractive if the deposit exposure is unclear.
 
My practical sequence would be: request completed comparables, clarify the competing-offer claim, submit COP 3,539,530,000 with financing evidence and flexible completion, retain inspection/financing/appraisal protections, and set a sensible expiry. If the seller dislikes the price, invite a counteroffer. That reveals more than raising your bid in response to pressure alone.
 
Back
Top