How would you adjust the comparables for this €768,200 Berlin apartment?

nova.vale

Landlord
I can either anchor everything to the one completed sale, despite its differences, or rely more heavily on three current listings that may never achieve their asking prices. Neither feels robust enough for a €768,200 decision.

The Berlin apartment is a 3-bed of roughly 150 m² in average condition. Its light and location appeal to me, while the finishes may require work and the insurance position needs checking. Should condition be adjusted from a priced schedule of refurbishment rather than a broad percentage? I am also wary of valuing the extra floor area at the same average rate as smaller apartments.

Beyond the exact micro-location, I would like to understand how floor level, layout and any parking affect the comparison. Which of those facts would move your estimate most? I will still commission a formal local appraisal before acting on the result.
 
I wouldn’t use a blanket percentage for either item. Anchor the analysis to the completed sale, then estimate the condition difference from actual work needed rather than labels such as “average” or “dated.” For size, don’t simply multiply every extra square metre by the comparable’s average rate; larger apartments can have a different marginal value per square metre.
 
The missing fact that would change my view most is the precise micro-location of both apartments. “Berlin” is far too broad, and even a nearby comparable may differ in light, noise, outlook and access. How close is the completed sale, when did it complete, and does it have a similar floor level and layout?
 
One more point: clarify the ownership and occupancy position. If there is a lease, its length and terms could matter more than cosmetic finishes. I’d also want the current service charges broken down, including whether the insurance concern is already reflected there or is only a possible future cost.
 
I partly disagree about starting with refurbishment cost. Buyers don’t always deduct the full cost of dated finishes, especially if everything remains usable, while a poor layout can’t be fixed cheaply. Separate condition into essential work, optional modernisation and purely personal taste. Otherwise it is easy to over-adjust because the kitchen or flooring isn’t fashionable.
 
Do the comparables match on parking and outdoor space? At this price, a balcony, terrace, garden access or parking space can explain a noticeable gap without saying anything about the internal condition. I’d list those separately rather than burying them in one general quality adjustment.
 
The three asking comparables are useful for understanding the current competition, but not proof of achieved value. I’d build a small table around the completed sale: floor area, floor, lift, light, noise, outdoor space, parking, condition, service charges and occupancy. It should quickly reveal whether that sale is genuinely comparable or merely the only transaction available.
 
Given the limited evidence, I’d produce three scenarios rather than one precise adjustment range. In the low case, allow for essential works and unresolved building costs. In the middle case, treat the finishes as usable but dated. In the high case, give full credit for light and micro-location. Apply the size adjustment last, using the smaller comparables only as a guide to marginal space value.
 
“Possible insurance costs” needs unpacking before valuing anything. Is there an unusually high current charge, an expected increase, or simply missing information? Ask for the service-charge details and whatever building information is available about insurance and planned expenditure. An uncertain recurring cost should not be treated the same way as a known one-off refurbishment bill.
 
I’d also compare the €768,200 asking price—about €5,121 per m²—with each comparable’s price per square metre, but only as a diagnostic. If the subject looks cheap or expensive after the feature adjustments, revisit the layout and micro-location rather than forcing the figures to meet. With only one completed sale, a defensible range is more realistic than a single valuation.
 
Back
Top