How would you frame a 10% below-asking offer on this Doha duplex?

romy_deals

Homeowner
I can see the case for opening 10% under asking, but I can also see why the seller might dismiss it when the completed-sales evidence is thin. The Doha duplex is listed at QAR 3,604,000, has been on the market for 62 days and needs updating. Nearby listings support the general asking range, though they do not show where transactions are completing.

My proposed opening is QAR 3,243,600, backed by financing evidence and some flexibility over completion. I would explain it through the condition and limited comparable evidence rather than criticising every dated feature. If the seller counters, I could move on price or timing in stages.

Which terms should stay fixed from the outset? I am reluctant to weaken inspection, financing, appraisal-gap or deposit protection merely to make the opening figure look stronger, and I also need to choose a response deadline that is firm without being unreasonable.
 
The number itself is not insulting if the offer is presented seriously. Keep the rationale short: limited evidence from completed comparables, the property’s condition, and your certainty on financing and timing. Don’t send a long list attacking every outdated feature.

I would retain inspection and financing protection. Also give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline so it does not sit open indefinitely.
 
A short response window may create useful urgency, while a longer one gives the seller time to test the market; neither is comfortable when you do not know what is driving the sale. The 62 days suggest the seller has tolerated a wait, but they do not reveal whether price or timing now matters more.

Ask the agent one focused question before setting the deadline: would a firm completion date improve the offer more than a higher figure? The answer may be incomplete, but it gives you a basis for deciding where to be flexible. Price increases are difficult to take back, whereas the deadline can be adjusted if negotiations remain active.
 
I disagree slightly with anchoring the offer around the 62 days. That is useful context, not proof that QAR 3,243,600 reflects value. If comparable asking prices are close to QAR 3,604,000 and completed evidence is thin, the seller may simply counter near asking.

Decide your own maximum first. Otherwise a low opening can create the illusion of a bargain while the eventual price drifts beyond what the condition supports.
 
The updating costs need to be handled carefully. Either reflect visible work in the price or seek repair credits after inspection where justified; doing both for the same items will look like retrading.

I would not waive inspection just to make the 10%-below offer appear cleaner. Specify the inspection period and what happens to the deposit if a serious issue is found, using wording appropriate for the transaction in Qatar.
 
Oscar’s point about setting a maximum is important. I’d also plan for an appraisal gap before offering. Financing proof shows that you are organised, but it does not guarantee the property will support the agreed price. Clarify whether you can exit, renegotiate or must provide extra cash if the appraisal is low. That potential exposure matters more than making the opening offer look unusually “clean.”
 
A practical offer note could be only four parts: QAR 3,243,600 purchase price; financing proof attached; flexible completion within mutually agreed dates; and stated inspection, financing and appraisal conditions. Add a response deadline and the proposed deposit arrangements.

For the explanation, say the amount accounts for the available market evidence and required updating. Avoid claiming that asking-price listings prove your figure—or the seller’s.
 
One more caution: “deposit arrangements” should not be treated as a minor line item. Before signing, establish exactly when it becomes exposed and what happens if financing, appraisal or inspection conditions are not satisfied. The precise effect depends on the contract and local handling, so unclear wording deserves proper review.

If the seller rejects 10% below without countering, you can still decide whether better completed comparables justify returning. There is no need to bid against yourself immediately.
 
Back
Top