How would you frame a 12%-below-asking offer in São Paulo?

PrimeCedar

First-time buyer
The asking figure is clear; the likely sale value is not. This small multifamily in São Paulo is listed at R$1,456,000, has been on the market for 60 days and requires updating, yet the available completed-sale evidence is too thin for me to judge the nearby asking prices confidently.

I’m considering R$1,281,280 as an opening bid, 12% under asking. I can support it with financing proof, the renovation budget and flexibility on completion, but I do not want the explanation to sound insulting or arbitrary. How much response time would be fair, and what should I clarify about the seller’s motivation? I’m also reluctant to improve the headline offer by taking on excessive inspection, appraisal or deposit risk, so views on those protections and the use of repair credits would help.
 
I’d submit the number without calling it a judgment on the property: limited completed comparables, the updating budget and uncertainty around valuation support the offer. Attach the financing proof and emphasise the flexible date, then give enough time for a considered response rather than creating artificial urgency. I would not waive inspection or financing protection merely to make a below-asking bid look cleaner.
 
Before choosing the deadline, can you find out whether the seller is actually motivated after 60 days? Time listed alone may mean very little. Also ask what happens if the lender’s appraisal is below the agreed price. If you cannot fund that gap, the financing wording and conditions governing the deposit matter more than whether the opening discount is 10% or 12%.
 
I’m not convinced repair credits should be built into the opening rationale before an inspection. That risks appearing to discount the same updating twice: once in the price and again through credits. Offer R$1,281,280 with financing evidence, flexible timing and a clear expiry; keep inspection and financing conditions; then use documented defects to request a credit or renegotiate. Have the deposit and contingency language checked locally before signing, since the consequences depend on the contract and jurisdiction.
 
Back
Top