How would you frame a 4% below-asking offer on this Madrid country home?

eli_saves

Homeowner
The practical problem is that I have asking prices but too little completed-sale evidence to anchor an offer. I am looking at a three-bedroom country home in Madrid listed for €464,600. It has been on the market for 28 days and requires updating, although nearby listings are priced at roughly the same level.

I am considering starting 4% lower. My financing is arranged and I can be flexible about completion, so I would present those as strengths rather than give the seller a list of faults. Does that sound like a credible opening figure, or would it depend on obtaining estimates for the work first?

I am willing to negotiate on price and timing, but less comfortable weakening inspection, finance, appraisal or deposit safeguards merely to make the offer look cleaner.
 
Four percent below is not inherently aggressive; it is about €18,584, which is modest enough to start a conversation. I would avoid a long critique of the property. Present the offer as a figure reflecting the updating required, then emphasise the financing proof and flexibility on timing. Give a clear but reasonable response deadline, and keep inspection and finance protection.
 
Do you know what the updating actually involves? Decoration and old finishes support a weaker argument than roof, moisture, electrics or heating work. If you have no completed comparables and no repair estimates, the seller may hear “4%” as an arbitrary discount rather than a reasoned offer.
 
Also, ask the agent what matters to the seller besides price. A preferred completion date or fewer logistical complications may make €446,016 more attractive, while a seller with no urgency may simply wait. Twenty-eight days on the market alone does not reveal motivation.
 
I would not ask for repair credits at the opening stage unless a visible defect already has a credible cost attached. Offer based on the home as currently presented, inspect it properly, and revisit the price only if the inspection uncovers something materially different. Otherwise it can look like you intend to negotiate the same discount twice.
 
One practical detail: write down what happens if the lender’s valuation is below the agreed price. “Clean financing” should not accidentally become a promise that you will cover any appraisal gap. Before paying or signing anything, have the deposit terms and exit conditions checked for this transaction in Spain.
 
I partly disagree on stating €446,016 exactly. It advertises that the offer came from a percentage calculation rather than a property valuation. A rounded figure may feel more deliberate. More importantly, the offer should separate the attractive terms—financing evidence and flexible completion—from the conditions you still need, so “clean” is not mistaken for unconditional.
 
The response deadline needs balance. Too short can antagonise the seller, especially if the agent must reach several people; open-ended lets the offer drift while you remain exposed. Use a definite expiry tied to your own search, without manufacturing urgency. Meanwhile, ask for any available information that could help test the price and condition rather than relying only on competing listings.
 
I would keep the rationale to three sentences: you like the property, your offer reflects its present condition and expected updating, and you can support the offer with financing proof plus flexibility on completion. Then list contingencies separately. Inspection, finance and an acceptable valuation all address different risks; waiving them merely to make a 4% discount more appealing could be an expensive trade.
 
One caveat to the inspection discussion: decide in advance what would justify walking away, what would justify renegotiation, and what is simply normal updating already reflected in your offer. That prevents every minor item becoming another argument. I would also cap the deposit exposure at an amount you can tolerate losing, subject to transaction-specific advice on how the written conditions operate in Madrid.
 
Back
Top