How would you frame a 5% below-asking offer on this Abu Dhabi home?

otis.cedar

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a country home in Abu Dhabi listed at AED 3,064,000. It has been available for 92 days and needs updating. Asking-price comparables are fairly close, but I cannot find enough completed sales to judge the real clearing price.

My proposed opening is AED 2,910,800, exactly 5% below asking, backed by financing proof and flexibility on completion. How would you explain that without irritating the seller? I want protection for expensive unknowns, not an inspection clause that becomes a shopping list. I’m also wary of appraisal risk and exposing the deposit unnecessarily.
 
Five percent is not inherently aggressive, especially after 92 days, but I would avoid presenting it as a deduction for every dated finish. Keep the rationale short: limited completed comparables, required updating, and a straightforward offer with financing evidence and flexible timing. Ask the agent what completion date or other term matters to the seller; that may be more persuasive than adding money.
 
What does “clean financing” mean in the actual offer? Proof that funds are available is useful, but it is not the same as waiving financing or appraisal protection. I would first establish the lender’s valuation position and write down what happens if the appraisal is below the agreed price. Otherwise a successful negotiation could simply create an appraisal gap you must fund.
 
I’d also narrow the inspection protection by category rather than trying to define every possible defect. Keep an exit or renegotiation route for structural issues and costly building systems, while making clear that cosmetic updating is already reflected in the offer. If defects emerge, a repair credit can be simpler than asking the seller to organise work, provided the lender and transaction terms permit it.
 
I disagree slightly with leaning on the 92 days. Time available does not tell you the seller’s motivation, and repeatedly mentioning it can sound like pressure rather than evidence. The completed comparables matter more, even if they are limited.

I would not combine a below-asking offer with an extremely short response deadline either. Give the seller enough time to consider it, while keeping a definite expiry so the offer does not remain open indefinitely.
 
A practical structure would be: AED 2,910,800; financing proof attached; flexible completion date; a clear but reasonable response deadline; inspection limited to expensive unknowns; and explicit financing/appraisal wording. Before signing, have the deposit consequences checked against the actual Abu Dhabi contract terms. The key is not calling the offer “clean” while quietly accepting an appraisal gap or risking the deposit if finance fails.
 
Back
Top