How would you split a $44k post-closing buffer on a $175k Chicago house?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
I’m split between allocating the cash now and leaving most of it untouched until the inspection is final. An early budget would help with planning, but it could give false confidence if the 5-bed Chicago house has several ageing systems needing attention at once.

The price is around $175,000, and I expect about $44,000 to remain after the deposit and estimated closing costs. That still has to cover the first mortgage payment, moving and utility setup, the insurance deductible and any immediate work. Assuming no major defect is found, how much would you keep as an emergency fund before spending on repairs? I’m happy to furnish rooms gradually if monthly essential expenses or the inspection suggest that more cash should stay uncommitted.
 
I’d keep the emergency fund separate first, based on several months of essential spending rather than a percentage of the house price. From the remainder, a provisional split might be $12,000 for repairs, $4,000 for moving and setup, and $3,000 for furniture. Leave the rest unassigned until the final closing figures and inspection are known. Furniture is the easiest category to delay.
 
What are your monthly essential expenses, including the proposed mortgage, insurance, taxes and utilities? Without that number, nobody can tell whether $20,000 or $30,000 is a suitable emergency reserve. I’d also want the inspection to say something useful about the roof, heating, plumbing and electrical systems. “Ordinary work” on a 5-bed property can still contain several jobs at once.
 
I disagree with assigning $12,000 to repairs before the inspection. The report could justify $3,000 or make the whole purchase unattractive. Keep the $44,000 as one pool for now, then classify it after you receive repair estimates and the final cash-to-close figure. A generous balance should not become a reason to accept defects that ought to affect the price or your decision.
 
Also clarify what you mean by service charges. For a detached home, I’d list every recurring or startup cost separately—utilities, waste arrangements if applicable, internet, and any association payment shown in the property documents—rather than use one vague allowance. Ask the lender for the exact first-payment date too; don’t infer it from what is prepaid at closing.
 
Lin’s outline works as a planning exercise, while Maria is right that the inspection should control the final repair amount. I’d use three accounts or categories: untouchable household emergency money, a house-repair reserve, and a smaller move-in fund. The insurance “excess” is normally called the deductible in the US, so confirm that amount on the actual policy rather than guessing.
 
One more practical step: price only the essentials before closing—moving, locks if needed, basic window coverings, beds and any appliance genuinely missing from the sale. Make a separate furniture wish list with no deadline. Once the inspection findings, insurance terms, final closing statement and first mortgage date are available, you can stress-test the buffer against one significant repair plus several months of normal expenses.
 
Back
Top