How would you value a 230 m² Mexico City villa with only one sold comparable?

esme_young

Property investor
I’m assessing a 2-bed villa in Mexico City: approximately 230 m², average condition, asking MX$17,640,000. Its best features are the natural light and location; dated finishes and possible insurance costs are the main negatives.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. My rough repair reserve equals eleven months of rent, though I’m concerned that may be too light. What approach would you take to condition and floor-area adjustments, and which missing fact would most change the valuation? I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
The asking price is roughly MX$76,700 per m², but I wouldn’t apply a standard percentage adjustment from only one completed sale. Cost the dated items individually, then add a contingency rather than treating “average condition” as one discount.

Micro-location would change my view most. In Mexico City, two properties with similar floor area can offer very different utility depending on the exact street, parking and usable outdoor space.
 
What does eleven months of rent represent in cash, and is the villa currently leased? The rent level and remaining lease length matter if you are valuing it as an income-producing purchase rather than for vacant occupation.

I’d also want to know about service charges and which maintenance or insurance costs sit with the owner. Without those figures, the reserve cannot really be judged.
 
I’m not convinced micro-location is the first adjustment to solve. With only one completed comparable, I’d start by establishing how closely that sale matches in condition, parking, outdoor space and layout. Asking comparables show seller expectations, not necessarily achieved value.

Floor area should not be adjusted mechanically either. The extra metres have less value if they are circulation space or oversized rooms, especially in a 230 m² property with only two bedrooms.
 
I’d build a simple comparison table rather than force a single adjustment range. Put the completed sale and three listings in rows, then record floor area, bedroom count, condition, exact micro-location, parking, outdoor space, service charges and occupancy or lease position. Mark unknowns instead of guessing.

Then run three versions: minimal cosmetic work, broader updating, and the level of work indicated after inspection. That will show whether the asking price only works under optimistic assumptions. A written repair list and local cost estimates would make the eleven-month reserve much more meaningful.
 
Parking deserves separate treatment rather than being buried in the floor-area figure. The same goes for genuinely private outdoor space. Buyers may pay for those features even when they would not pay proportionally for another internal square metre.

I’d reconcile the completed comparable by buyer utility: light, street, layout, parking, outdoor space and required work. If too many of those are unknown, the honest answer is a wider valuation range until the appraisal and repair estimates arrive.
 
Back
Top