How would you value this C$1.606m Montreal duplex with only one sold comparable?

rhea.holt

Landlord
Getting the property type wrong could distort the entire comparison. If “duplex” means one two-level home, I would value it differently from a building containing two dwellings, especially if ownership or occupancy rights are involved.

The Montreal property is advertised at C$1,606,000, with two bedrooms and about 1,180 sq ft. Its light and location look promising, but the finishes are dated. I have three active comparables and a single recorded sale, so I am reluctant to let either the sellers’ expectations or one transaction dictate the result.

My decision rule is becoming clearer: if the sold property matches the duplex format, micro-location, parking and outdoor space, I can use it as the main reference and price the required work separately. If those features differ, I need more completed evidence before assigning much weight to it. I am also checking lease or ownership details, service charges, transaction costs and the energy information in the listing. Which of those facts would you resolve first? I will obtain a local appraisal before relying on the valuation.
 
I would anchor on the completed sale, then use the three listings only as evidence of current seller expectations. For floor area, apply the sold property’s implied price per square foot only after adjusting for features that do not scale neatly, such as parking and outdoor space. For condition, I’d use a realistic scope-of-work estimate rather than a standard percentage. Exact micro-location could easily matter more than the 1,180 sq ft calculation.
 
Before adjusting anything, what does “duplex” mean in this listing: one home arranged over two floors, or a building with two dwellings? Also, how recent is the completed comparable, and does it have the same parking and outdoor-space position? Those answers could make it either useful or misleading.
 
That terminology point is important. I used the listing’s wording, but I need to confirm the legal configuration rather than assume it means a two-level unit. I’ll also get the completed sale’s date, floor area and included amenities. If there is any lease term or recurring service charge, I’ll compare the remaining obligation and monthly cost directly rather than burying them in a broad condition adjustment.
 
I partly disagree that micro-location is automatically the biggest missing item. At C$1,606,000, the ownership structure and recurring costs could change the conclusion more sharply because they affect what is actually being acquired and carried. Parking and private outdoor space also deserve separate line items. Dated finishes are visible and negotiable; unclear obligations are harder to price until documented.
 
I’d build two versions of the analysis. First, a comparable-sales table showing sale or asking status, date, floor area, exact location, condition, parking and outdoor space. Second, a total-cost sheet covering the asking price, identified transaction costs, immediate work and any recurring charges. Exclude the three asking comparables from the final average, but note whether they support or contradict the lone sale. Then ask the appraiser to explain any major difference rather than simply choosing the preferred number.
 
Back
Top