If mortgage rates fall, will competition simply push prices up after 42 days?

writeTheMap

Mortgage adviser
I’m considering a Toronto property priced at C$1,843,000. The mortgage rate available to me is 5.54%, and the listing has been on the market for 42 days. I can afford the purchase now, but I’m unsure whether to proceed or wait for cheaper financing. My concern is that falling rates could bring buyers back before local inventory improves and push prices higher.

How would you stress-test this decision without trying to predict both rates and prices? I’m especially interested in comparing the monthly cost of buying now with waiting, including arrangement fees, loan-to-value, rate-reset risk, early-repayment terms and portability. I’d also like to test conservative refinance assumptions rather than treating a future lower rate as guaranteed, plus the risk of needing to resell earlier than planned.

Please distinguish any Canadian legal or lender requirements from personal risk-tolerance choices. What comparison period would be sensible, and which numbers would you insist on having before deciding?
 
Back
Top