My main concern is getting faults corrected before furniture and moving costs complicate everything. The purchase is a new 1-bed detached home in Johannesburg, and the builder considers the municipal approval sufficient. I am not convinced that check will cover the workmanship issues a buyer would care about.
Would it make sense to commission an independent inspection while work is still accessible, then do a second careful check on handover? Another option is to save the inspection for later in the defects window, but by then I will also be dealing with the first mortgage payment and any repairs may be more disruptive. Which timing caught problems early enough for the builder to deal with them?
Would it make sense to commission an independent inspection while work is still accessible, then do a second careful check on handover? Another option is to save the inspection for later in the defects window, but by then I will also be dealing with the first mortgage payment and any repairs may be more disruptive. Which timing caught problems early enough for the builder to deal with them?