Independent inspection for a new build in Kuala Lumpur with 44 days to go

followTheThread

Buyer
Founding Member
I have 44 days until expected completion of a new 4-bed country home in Kuala Lumpur, and the people I’ve asked offline are split. The builder says it will pass municipal checks, so an independent inspection is unnecessary. Others warn that drainage, insulation and finish defects often become apparent only after handover.

Would you arrange an inspection before completion, at handover, or near the end of the contractual defect period? I would rather spend a little now than argue over defects after moving in, especially if rental requirements ever become relevant. What would you verify first?
 
I’d separate municipal approval from an inspection done for you: they may not be looking for the same things. If funds allow, inspect shortly before handover so defects can be listed while the home is still empty, then do another careful walkthrough near the end of the defect period. First confirm that your contract allows access before completion and explains how defects must be reported.
 
Is the property already weather-tight, and have the utilities been connected? An inspection 44 days out may miss leaks, drainage behaviour or systems that have not been commissioned yet. Also ask the builder whether your inspector can test things or only look. That answer could determine whether the earlier visit is worthwhile.
 
I’m not convinced two paid inspections are automatically sensible. For a first-time buyer, moving costs, the first mortgage payment and the emergency fund can land together. I’d pay for one thorough inspection at handover, document everything with dated photos, and do my own repeat checks before the defect period ends. Two visits make sense only if the fee and access are reasonable.
 
For the first visit, I’d concentrate on items that are expensive or disruptive after furniture arrives: water flow away from the house, signs of moisture, roof-space insulation where accessible, windows and doors, plumbing fixtures, electrical points, uneven flooring and incomplete finishes. Ask for findings in writing and match each item to the builder’s reporting process rather than relying on a conversation at the property.
 
The furniture timing point matters. Don’t rush to furnish every room immediately; empty walls and floors make defects easier to see and give workers room to return. I’d keep money aside for moving costs and genuinely urgent repairs rather than treating the inspection as the only post-handover expense.
 
Does this country home have any shared facilities or service charges? If so, the private inspection won’t tell you the whole monthly cost picture. With 44 days left, I’d ask for the payment schedule and what starts at handover. That could affect whether a second inspection is comfortable or takes too much from the emergency fund.
 
I would not count on home insurance as a fallback for poor workmanship. What is covered, and any excess, will depend on the actual policy and circumstances. The practical protection here is a clear defect list, evidence of when each issue was noticed, and compliance with the contract’s notice method. Kuala Lumpur-specific contract questions are worth checking locally rather than assuming the builder’s process is universal.
 
A sensible compromise seems to be: ask now about inspector access and whether all systems will be operational; book the main inspection as close to handover as possible; delay nonessential furniture; photograph the empty home; and put a reminder well before the defect period expires. Once you know the inspection fee, service charges, insurance excess and first mortgage date, you can decide whether a second visit is worth it without draining your cash reserve.
 
Back
Top