Inspection found S$81,740 of work: credit, lower price, or seller repairs?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
The inspection on a 100 m² duplex in Singapore found several genuine but manageable issues, with estimates totalling about S$81,740. The seller has offered to arrange the repairs, but I would rather choose and manage the contractors myself.

Would a closing credit normally be more useful than reducing the purchase price, assuming the lender permits it? I am checking concession limits before responding. I also want to understand how the response deadline and deposit exposure affect my options. Please distinguish Singapore contract or legal requirements from personal risk tolerance.
 
A credit is usually more useful for preserving cash to do the work, whereas a price reduction may only reduce your loan and payments rather than hand you S$81,740 at completion. But the lender may restrict or reject the credit, so get both structures modelled in writing.

Also compare the agreed price with completed comparables. If there is already a likely appraisal gap, a lower price could matter more than a credit.
 
That cash-versus-loan distinction is exactly what I was missing. My preference for contractor control points toward a credit, but only if the lender confirms it works with the financing.

I’ll ask for written figures under both versions and keep the inspection response within the stated deadline. I also need to establish whether the seller wants certainty and speed or is mainly resisting a headline price reduction.
 
I would not automatically choose the credit. S$81,740 is large enough that the estimates could change once work starts, especially if any issue is not fully visible. A fixed credit transfers that overrun risk to you.

Seller-arranged repairs have the opposite problem: less control over scope and contractor. What inspection protection does your signed agreement actually provide, and does it allow renegotiation or withdrawal without putting the deposit at risk? That is contract-specific in Singapore, so your conveyancing lawyer should answer it before the deadline.
 
One practical approach is to run three columns before replying: seller repairs with a precise scope and completion evidence; a lender-approved credit; and a price reduction. For each, note your cash needed after completion, financing proof required, possible appraisal gap, and who carries overruns.

Then have the lawyer confirm the amendment wording, deadline and deposit consequences, while the lender confirms what it will accept. The completed comparables and seller motivation can guide the negotiation, but neither replaces those two confirmations.
 
Back
Top