Insurance and reserve increases have changed the maths on a Montreal two-bedroom

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
The condition driving my decision is the building’s sharply higher monthly charge, following increases in its master insurance premium and reserve contributions. The price of this two-bedroom Montreal apartment is manageable, but the ongoing amount removes much of its financial advantage over continuing to rent.

Should I model today’s charge as the long-term baseline, or is there evidence in the building records that part of it is temporary? I’m checking the reserve position, insurance exclusions and whether my personal policy would cover a loss assessment. I would also value thoughts on how these costs affect management burden and eventual resale demand.
 
I would underwrite the current association amount as the baseline, not assume it falls later. If it does decline, that is upside. More importantly, find out whether the increase is rebuilding depleted reserves or merely keeping pace with expected work. The same monthly charge can signal either improving finances or a building that is still behind.
 
What is included in that monthly figure? Heating or other energy costs can make a high fee less alarming than it first appears. Also, is this intended as your home or a rental? For a rental, tenant demand and vacancy risk matter; for your own use, the fair comparison is broader than rent versus mortgage and fees.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat today’s premium as permanent at exactly today’s level. Insurance costs can move, and one expensive renewal is not necessarily a long-term trend. But I agree with using the present number in the purchase calculation. The dangerous version of the deal is one that only works if fees retreat.
 
There is also a resale issue. A buyer may focus on the headline monthly charge without giving full credit for healthier reserves or included energy. That can reduce the pool of interested buyers even when the building is responsibly managed. Compare the unit with nearby alternatives on total monthly carrying cost, not purchase price alone.
 
Before deciding, I’d ask for the available association budgets, financial statements, meeting records and insurance details, then trace what changed and why. Look for planned maintenance, recurring claims or exclusions, and whether further reserve increases are being discussed. Clarify your personal policy’s deductible and loss-assessment limits with an insurer familiar with Quebec coverage; the wording and circumstances matter.
 
That helps. I’m going to keep the current monthly amount in the base case and run a second case with another increase rather than counting on a reversal. I’ll also separate included energy costs from the true building contribution, examine the available association records, and compare total carrying cost with both rent and similar Montreal apartments. If the deal only works after assuming lower insurance, I’ll pass.
 
Back
Top