If I pitch this badly, I could either overpay or lose a home that might have been negotiable. The Sydney country home is listed at A$912,000, has been on the market for 20 days and appears to require some updating. Similar properties are advertised nearby, but there are too few completed transactions for me to judge the true value confidently.
I’m considering an opening offer 12% under the asking price, backed by proof of finance and a completion date that suits the seller. Before deciding, I need to know what is driving the sale: if timing matters, stronger terms may support the lower figure; if the seller is in no hurry, it may simply be rejected. I would still keep an inspection condition and protect the deposit if finance or valuation fails. Is there another fact I should get from the agent first?
I’m considering an opening offer 12% under the asking price, backed by proof of finance and a completion date that suits the seller. Before deciding, I need to know what is driving the sale: if timing matters, stronger terms may support the lower figure; if the seller is in no hurry, it may simply be rejected. I would still keep an inspection condition and protect the deposit if finance or valuation fails. Is there another fact I should get from the agent first?