Is 41 days meaningful for Vancouver new-build flats?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
I’m tracking Vancouver new-build flats asking C$610,200–C$915,300. The active listings have been online for roughly 41 days, with many of the longer-running outliers appearing vacant.

Should I treat 41 days as a useful indication of buyer demand, or is the sample too distorted by homes that remain online? Asking-price data is easy to find, but I’m struggling to compare it with recent completed sales, withdrawn stock and price-cut timing.
 
Active stock will naturally overrepresent slower listings, so 41 days cannot by itself tell you how quickly comparable homes found buyers. How did you calculate it: current days online, or time from first listing to an accepted offer? Relistings and withdrawals could materially change the answer. I’d start with a matched group of recent completed and withdrawn listings in the same neighbourhoods.
 
I also wouldn’t assume vacancy explains the outliers. A vacant flat may be easy to show, while condition, an ambitious starting price or a seller unwilling to negotiate can keep it sitting. Your price range is broad enough that neighbourhood boundaries matter too. Has new-listing volume changed during the period you measured? Forty-one days means something different if fresh competing stock has recently increased.
 
A practical approach is to record each listing’s first asking price, any reductions, current status and last observed date, then update the same group weekly rather than replacing sold or withdrawn homes with new ones. Separate neighbourhoods and broadly similar condition. Completed prices will help, but financing issues and seller motivation often remain invisible, so present 41 days as an active-inventory observation rather than a market-wide selling time.
 
Back
Top