Is $54,460 a realistic renovation budget for 480 sq ft in Los Angeles?

SharpSparrow

Developer
If the scope is wrong, the budget could unravel as soon as a wall or floor is opened. I am working with a preliminary figure of $54,460 for renovating 480 sq ft of student housing in Los Angeles, with no extension or intended structural changes. The work includes the kitchen and bathrooms, new finishes, electrical review and some energy improvements.

I am more concerned about concealed moisture, inaccessible plumbing and incomplete contractor pricing than about finish grades. How much would you hold back for those risks? I also want bidders to identify allowances, omitted work, inspection dependencies and items that could delay permits or completion.
 
For a preliminary budget, I’d hold roughly 15% as contingency, and more if walls or floors will be opened before the plumbing and electrical condition is known. Ask each bidder to separate allowances from fixed-price work and list exclusions in writing. Also clarify whether patching, disposal, protection of occupied areas and return visits after inspections are included.
 
Will the space be vacant throughout the work? In student housing, access dates could matter as much as the construction sequence. I’d also establish where the plumbing runs and whether shutoffs and drain connections can be reached without opening finished areas. A moisture inspection around bathrooms and kitchen cabinets may reveal whether the flooring and paint figures are genuinely independent items.
 
I wouldn’t choose a contingency percentage yet. Fifteen percent can look reassuring while the base scope still contains vague allowances. The bigger question is what “electrical checks” means: inspection only, minor corrections, new devices, or opening walls and repairing finishes afterward? Get comparable bids against the same written scope, with any suspected structural, electrical or plumbing work priced as alternates.
 
Agree with Carlos on defining the scope first, although I’d still reserve contingency rather than assigning every dollar. Before ordering finishes, map the sequence: investigation and any permit-dependent work, opening-up, plumbing/electrical corrections, moisture repairs, wall closure, flooring, cabinets and paint touch-ups. Ask the contractor which materials could delay that sequence and which selections can be substituted without redesign. Then revise the $54,460 figure using written inclusions, exclusions and alternates.
 
Back
Top