Is $610,000 meaningful when Austin listings sit for 119 days?

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
I narrowed the Austin sample, but that created a bigger question about whether the properties belong in one comparison set at all. Most are described as serviced apartments, asking prices run from $488,000 to $732,000, and $610,000 sits near the middle. Typical exposure is 119 days.

I initially thought lease length might explain which units linger. That seems too simple if neighbourhood boundaries, condition or the meaning of “serviced” differ between listings. Relisted and withdrawn stock could also make the exposure figure misleading.

Would you first restrict the sample to closely matched completed sales, then examine price cuts and seller motivation? Or is it better to trace withdrawals and relistings before treating the 119-day figure as useful?
 
Start with completed sales. The $610,000 figure describes the listings you found, not necessarily where buyers and sellers are meeting. Also, does 119 days mean the current listing spell or total exposure after withdrawals and relistings? That distinction could materially change the street-level picture.
 
I’d also challenge the lease theory unless the units are otherwise closely matched. Condition, exact location, financing availability and whether the apartment is being sold with an existing arrangement could all affect demand. Are all the properties using “serviced apartment” in the same sense, or have different listing types been grouped together?
 
Good points. The 119 days is the current visible run in my notes, not cumulative exposure, so relisted stock may be understating the real timeline. I also haven’t normalised neighbourhood boundaries or condition yet. I’ll separate clean new listings from likely relists, then compare completed sales and the timing of the first reduction before putting much weight on lease length.
 
I wouldn’t discard lease length, but it should be tested rather than assumed. Split the sample into comparable groups and see whether the shorter-lease units still linger after controlling for condition and area. Financing could be a hidden divider too, depending on the unit and lender. A wide price cut may not help if the buyer pool is restricted for another reason.
 
Track new-listing volume alongside days visible. If similar stock keeps arriving, older sellers face different pressure than they would in a quiet market. I’d use one row per property, preserve every observed list price and date, and flag withdrawals separately from confirmed completions. That should make repeated reductions and probable relists easier to spot.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries may be doing more work than the headline range suggests. “Austin” is too broad for a clean comparison if two nearby-looking listings appeal to different buyers or have different surroundings. I’d map the properties first, then compare condition within small clusters rather than treating $488,000 to $732,000 as one continuous market.
 
One caveat on withdrawn stock: withdrawal alone doesn’t reveal seller motivation. It might indicate a failed sale, a pause, a change of plans or preparation for relisting. Keep it as its own outcome rather than counting it as either sold or rejected. Once completed sales, withdrawals and still-active listings are separated, the 119-day figure should become much more informative.
 
Back
Top