Is $9,000 enough cash to keep after closing on an $815,000 Austin apartment?

AveryGray

First-time buyer
Established
I’m 108 days into this and trying not to let fatigue push me beyond a sensible limit. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have about $9,000 left if I bought the 2-bed apartment I’m considering at around $815,000.

That remainder would need to cover moving, ordinary first-year work found during inspection, furniture and a real emergency fund. I also need to account properly for service charges, the insurance deductible and the timing of the first mortgage payment. How would you divide the $9,000, or is the better answer simply to buy below my current maximum?
 
I would treat the emergency fund as untouchable, not as money available for furniture or expected repairs. Work backward from there: reserve known moving costs, anything urgent from the inspection and the insurance deductible. Furniture can wait.

At this price, $9,000 sounds thin unless your monthly surplus can rebuild it quickly. Have you received firm figures for the service charges and first payment date, or are those still estimates?
 
The missing fact is how fast you could replenish the buffer after closing. A $9,000 balance with strong monthly cash flow is a different problem from $9,000 that will stay flat or shrink.

Also confirm whether your closing estimate includes all prepaid items. I wouldn’t assign the money to categories until the lender and closing side have given you an updated cash-to-close figure.
 
Agreed on getting the updated figure, but I’d still set a minimum reserve now. Otherwise every revised estimate just absorbs more of the $9,000. If the purchase only works by assuming no repair, no costly move and no surprise service charge, that is already useful information about affordability.
 
I don’t think $9,000 is automatically too little; the inspection results and replenishment rate matter too much for that conclusion. But don’t use percentages to split it. List the actual move cost, urgent inspection items, deductible and payments due before the next full pay cycle. What remains is the emergency reserve. If that remainder makes you uncomfortable, lower the purchase price rather than trimming every category.
 
For an apartment, separate defects inside the unit from possible building-level costs. The inspection may help with the first category, while service-charge history and any planned shared work matter for the second. They can affect your buffer in different ways.

I’d ask for the relevant building and fee information before deciding that an apparently clean inspection means the $9,000 is safe.
 
This is helpful. I’ve been treating the $9,000 as one reassuring number instead of subtracting the expenses that are already predictable. I also haven’t yet confirmed the exact first mortgage payment timing, insurance deductible or final service charges.

My next step is to get those figures and price the move before making an offer. After 108 days I’m impatient, but I’d rather let the resulting minimum reserve set my ceiling than rely on postponing everything.
 
That sounds more disciplined. For furniture, make a “needed on day one” list and a separate “can wait” list. A bed may be immediate; filling a second bedroom probably isn’t. Get moving quotes based on the actual access and amount of belongings, since that is easier to estimate now than hypothetical repairs.
 
I’d make the offer decision conditional on three numbers: final cash to close, urgent work identified by inspection and the amount left after known move-in expenses. Then compare the remainder with the emergency fund you want to preserve.

If the deal requires all three to land at their optimistic estimates, buying slightly below your maximum is the safer answer. Walking back the price ceiling is easier than rebuilding cash while handling a new mortgage and building costs.
 
Back
Top