Is A$12,160 enough cash after buying a Sydney serviced apartment?

ember.nimble

First-time buyer
A$12,160 feels like a narrow buffer after settlement, particularly if a service charge or inspection item lands early.

The property is a 2-bed serviced apartment in Sydney priced at about A$1,854,000. I can postpone most furniture and move in with only the basics, but the remaining cash may also need to cover moving, insurance excess, the first mortgage payment and ordinary first-year work.

How would you prioritise those demands? I am unsure whether to reserve nearly all of the money for emergencies until the inspection and payment dates are clear, or set aside a limited amount for immediate repairs and setup.
 
To clarify, I’m not planning an expensive fit-out. I could move with the essentials and add furniture gradually. My concern is whether A$12,160 is already too thin before I know the inspection findings and the timing of all the early payments. Would you treat most of it as untouchable emergency money?
 
I would not divide it into four equal pots. First list everything that must be paid between settlement and the next reliable income, including moving, the first mortgage payment and any service charge due. Then reserve for inspection items that genuinely cannot wait. Whatever remains is the emergency fund; furniture gets no allocation beyond essentials.

Is the A$12,160 left after the first mortgage payment, or merely after settlement costs? That distinction could change the answer considerably.
 
I agree with Nadia’s order, but the serviced-apartment aspect deserves extra attention. A unit inspection may show what needs work inside the apartment, yet it may not tell you how future building or service costs will affect your cash flow. Depending on the ownership and management arrangements, the roof comparison may also be less direct than it would be for a house.

At this price, A$12,160 leaves very little room for overlapping bills even if nothing dramatic breaks.
 
One practical exercise: put every unavoidable payment on a 90-day calendar rather than calling the whole amount a “buffer.” Include settlement-related amounts not yet paid, moving, mortgage timing, service charges, insurance and its excess. Then add the inspection’s urgent items separately. If the balance after that is uncomfortable, buying below the maximum is not overthinking it; it is preserving options.
 
I’d also run two versions: the expected first three months and an unpleasant-but-plausible version where moving costs more, one repair cannot wait and an insurance claim requires the excess. No need to invent a catastrophe.

If A$12,160 only works in the smooth version, the purchase price is probably stretching the cash position. Delaying furniture helps, but furniture is the easiest cost here to control; the fixed and surprise costs are the real test.
 
Back
Top