Is a $23,000 post-closing buffer enough for a $900,000 coastal home?

kai_cole

Buyer
Established
I’m a first-time buyer in Atlanta considering a 1-bed coastal home around $900,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly $23,000 left.

I’m leaning toward buying below my maximum because the inspection could uncover ordinary first-year work. How would you divide that cash among emergency savings, moving costs, immediate repairs and the first mortgage payment? Furniture can wait; roofs and boilers generally can’t. I’m also wondering whether longer days on market should make me more comfortable negotiating rather than stretching.
 
I wouldn’t treat the whole $23,000 as available for the house. First ring-fence your normal emergency fund and the first mortgage payment, then list unavoidable moving costs. What remains is the repair budget.

The missing figure is the property’s ongoing cost: are there service charges, and how large is the insurance excess/deductible? For a coastal home, the insurance terms could materially change whether that buffer feels adequate. Days on market may help negotiations, but it doesn’t reduce repair risk.
 
I’d be more cautious. On a $900,000 purchase, $23,000 can disappear quickly if closing estimates move or the inspection identifies two issues at once. Don’t assign furniture anything yet.

Once you have the inspection, separate findings into urgent, near-term and cosmetic. Price the urgent items before deciding, confirm insurance costs and any service charges, and ask for a reduction or walk away if the remaining cash would fall below your personal emergency minimum.
 
Back
Top