Is a sewer scope worth adding to a Montreal townhouse inspection?

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
I am balancing two reasonable approaches: keep inspection extras under control, or pay for the one check that could expose a very expensive problem. The property is an older 480 sq ft Montreal townhouse, and the booked general inspection does not cover the sewer serving the unit.

Large trees stand close to the street, while the estimate I received for complete line replacement was C$35,100. A separate camera scope is much cheaper, but it would compete with moving expenses, the first mortgage payment, immediate repairs and the emergency fund.

Would you order the scope based on the age, trees and potential cost alone, or only after drainage symptoms? I also need to confirm whether the relevant pipe is privately owned, shared, or covered by common service charges, because that could change both the risk and who pays. I would be interested in whether townhouse ownership alters the usual calculation.
 
Given the age, nearby trees and size of the possible bill, I’d add it. A lack of obvious drainage symptoms does not tell you much about the buried line, and C$35,100 would overwhelm many first-buyer emergency funds. The townhouse’s 480 sq ft interior size is not especially relevant to that risk.
 
Before booking it, do you know whether that section of pipe is solely yours, shared with other units, or covered through some form of common ownership? “Townhouse” describes the building, not necessarily who pays for which line. Also ask where the scope can enter and how far it can travel. A limited view may not answer the question you are paying to investigate.
 
I wouldn’t call it automatically routine just because the property is older. Isabella’s cost comparison is sensible, but only if the scope can examine the relevant section and the findings will affect your decision or repair planning.

Confirm responsibility as lin.eveningwalk suggests, then ask the scope provider what the report includes and what happens if access is blocked. If the line is yours and can be viewed properly, I’d prioritize this over early furniture purchases and keep the emergency fund intact until the inspection findings are clear.
 
Back
Top