Is a sewer scope worth adding to an apartment inspection in Calgary?

MinaGale

First-time buyer
Established
Paying for a separate sewer scope strains the cash I need for moving and immediate repairs; skipping it feels risky when a full line replacement has been estimated at C$10,800. Neither option is especially comfortable.

This is an older 1,180 sq ft Calgary apartment, and the general inspection I booked will not include that pipework. There are mature trees nearby, but I have not noticed any mention of slow drains or previous backups. Before ordering the camera inspection, I also need to establish whether the relevant section serves only the unit or is the building’s responsibility.

Would the trees and potential replacement cost be enough reason to investigate, or would you first ask management for repair history, responsibility and access details?
 
The mature trees would be enough for me to investigate, since visible drainage symptoms may appear only after damage or obstruction has developed. Before paying, though, establish which pipe the camera would cover and who is responsible for it. In an apartment building, a line may serve several units or fall under building management rather than the individual owner.
 
I wouldn’t automatically add it just because the building is older. If this is a multi-unit property and the relevant sewer is common property, an individual scope might reveal little that affects your personal repair liability. Ask management for any history of backups, root intrusion or line work, and confirm whether access and permission are available.
 
The C$10,800 figure needs context. Is it for replacing the exact section connected to this apartment, or simply an example of what a full line replacement could cost? That distinction changes the decision. I’d also look at the insurance excess and available emergency fund: even a shared repair can still create an unexpected charge, depending on how the building handles costs.
 
That’s the missing piece I hadn’t appreciated. I used “private sewer line” because that was how the inspection exclusion was described, but I haven’t confirmed whether the line serves only this apartment or is shared, nor who would pay for work. I’ll ask for the building’s drainage history and clarify what section the C$10,800 estimate actually covers. Furniture can wait until those answers and the inspection findings are in.
 
That sounds sensible. Get three things in writing before deciding: the line’s ownership or repair responsibility, where the camera can enter, and whether prior inspection or repair information exists. If the pipe is yours and can be scoped, the trees plus the possible replacement cost make the extra inspection easier to justify. If it is shared, records and responsibility may matter more than commissioning your own camera visit.
 
Back
Top