Is a sewer scope worth adding to the inspection for an older Bogotá villa?

lena.voss

First-time buyer
Established
The general inspection is booked for a 170 m² villa in Bogotá, but it excludes the private sewer line. The house is older and there are mature trees near the street.

A separate camera scope costs far less than the COP 233,700,000 estimate I received for a complete replacement. Is the scope a sensible extra here, even without obvious drainage problems? I also need to preserve cash for moving, immediate repairs and the first mortgage payment. What would you verify first?
 
With an older property and nearby mature trees, I would add it. That does not mean replacement is likely; it means the potential downside is large enough to justify getting more information before purchase. First confirm which section is private, whether the camera can reach the full run, and whether you receive clear footage and a written description of any roots, cracks or standing water.
 
I’d challenge the COP 233,700,000 figure before using it to frame the decision. Does it cover only the sewer line, or excavation, paving and other reinstatement as well? Also ask whether there have been slow drains, recurring blockages or recent plumbing work.

A scope can still be worthwhile, but an inaccessible or poorly cleaned line may produce an inconclusive result. Keep enough of the emergency fund untouched for inspection findings and insurance excess rather than bringing furniture purchases forward.
 
Back
Top