Is a sewer scope worth adding to the inspection in Miami?

I’m buying a 1,510 sq ft new-build flat in Miami for roughly $875,000. The general inspection is booked, but the inspector doesn’t include the private sewer line. The confusing part is that the home is older despite the new-build description, and there are mature trees near the street.

A separate scope costs far less than the $19,000 estimate I was given for a full replacement. Is it a routine extra here, or mainly justified by slow drains and other warning signs? I’m also trying to preserve enough cash for moving, the first mortgage payment and any immediate repairs.
 
At that purchase price, with an older line potentially involved and mature trees nearby, I would add it. No warning signs only tells you the drains are working today. The more important question is whether the section being scoped is actually the section you would have to pay to repair.
 
Before booking it, clarify what “private sewer line” means for this flat. Where does your responsibility end, and where does any building or shared responsibility begin? Also ask whether there is a usable access point. The new-build/older-home description needs explaining too: what exactly is new, and what infrastructure remains older?
 
I wouldn’t call it an automatic yes until those responsibility questions are answered. If the costly section is shared or outside the part attached to the flat, a separate scope could provide reassurance without reducing your own financial exposure. Check the purchase and building information, then ask the inspector which section can actually be viewed. Responsibility can vary, so assumptions are risky.
 
Don’t let the scope fee crowd out the emergency fund. Keep cash aside for the insurance excess, service charges, moving costs and the first mortgage payment. Furniture can wait; urgent inspection findings cannot. If paying for this extra would leave the reserve uncomfortably thin, that is a broader affordability concern rather than a reason to skip only the sewer question.
 
That helps. I don’t yet know where the flat’s responsibility ends or whether the $19,000 estimate covers the same section that could be scoped. I’ll ask for those points in writing and confirm what is actually older despite the new-build description. If the line is genuinely my exposure and accessible, I’ll add the scope and delay some furniture rather than reduce the emergency fund.
 
That sounds proportionate. Also ask what you will receive from the scope and whether the person reviewing it can identify the location of any concern, not merely say the line passed or failed. Then compare that location with the responsibility boundary and the section covered by the $19,000 estimate. Otherwise, you could be comparing three different parts of the system.
 
Back
Top