Is a sewer scope worth adding to the inspection in Seoul?

bikesAndEcho

Homeowner
Established
Getting this wrong could mean either wasting money on an irrelevant inspection or missing a problem with a potential replacement estimate of ₩44,160,000. I already have a general inspection arranged for an older 65 m² Seoul apartment, but that inspection does not cover the relevant sewer pipe. A separate camera scope is much cheaper, and there are established trees by the street.

Would you order it now, or first confirm the pipe route and whether that section belongs to the apartment rather than the building? I also need to find out whether insurance, an excess or shared responsibility would change my exposure. My remaining cash must cover the move, the first mortgage payment and anything found during the main inspection, so I am trying to choose optional checks rather than approve all of them.
 
Given the difference between the scope cost and that replacement estimate, I would lean toward doing it—but first establish whether the pipe being scoped actually serves only this apartment. In a multi-unit building, the relevant section may be shared or managed collectively. Paying to inspect a line that is not yours to repair would not resolve much.
 
Where is the apartment within the building, and do you know the pipe route? Trees near the street matter only if roots can reach the relevant line. I would also ask what the ₩44,160,000 estimate covers: a confirmed defect, a hypothetical full replacement, or work extending beyond the apartment’s responsibility. That context changes the decision.
 
On reflection, I would not call a scope an automatic extra here. Access can be limited in an apartment, and footage of a shared section may tell you there is a problem without telling you who must pay. Ask building management for the drainage layout, responsibility boundaries and any known blockage or repair history before booking it.
 
I would keep the emergency fund separate from the purchase-day budget. Moving costs, service charges, the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment are predictable claims on cash; inspection findings and immediate repairs are not. Furniture is the easiest item to delay. If the scope can answer a real ownership risk after management clarifies the pipe, it belongs ahead of nonessential furniture.
 
The general inspection may give you the next decision point. Slow drainage, recurring smells, signs of leakage or inconsistent flow would strengthen the case for a scope. If no warning signs appear and management confirms the street-side line is shared, I would be less inclined. Before paying, ask the scope provider which exact section is reachable and what evidence you will receive.
 
I would avoid deciding based on whether sewer scopes are considered “routine” elsewhere; Seoul apartment arrangements can vary by building. A practical order is: finish the main inspection, confirm the line and repair responsibility with management, compare that with the replacement estimate, then decide. If responsibility is still unclear, spend money clarifying it before commissioning a test whose result you may not be able to act on.
 
Back
Top