Is €27,600 enough cash to keep after closing near Lyon?

cyclesAndBook

Homeowner
Averages have not been very helpful, so I’m trying to make this decision from a realistic first-year budget. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, we would have about €27,600 left for moving, furniture and surprises.

The detached home near Lyon appears maintained, although I know an inspection cannot rule out every immediate repair. The mortgage payment should remain comfortable. Would you proceed with that buffer, or delay and build a larger reserve? Completed examples from similar purchases would be especially useful.
 
€27,600 sounds potentially reasonable, but only if part of it remains an emergency fund rather than becoming the furnishing budget. I would split the money into three pots before deciding: unavoidable moving costs, inspection-related work, and cash that stays untouched. If the untouched amount feels too small for your normal household expenses, waiting may be wiser.
 
The missing fact is what the property already tells you it will need. Are the inspection findings likely to be minor, or are there older systems and repairs that could become urgent? Also confirm whether there are any service charges, the insurance excess, and when the first mortgage payment falls. Those details can change the picture more than the headline balance.
 
I’m a little more cautious than Rosa. A maintained appearance does not mean there will be no expensive first-year issue, and an inspection is only a snapshot. If the €27,600 has to cover a full move and furnishing most rooms, I would not call all of it a reserve. I would delay if proceeding meant having no genuinely untouched emergency fund afterward.
 
Furniture is the easiest part to slow down. Buy what is necessary to live in the house, then wait a few months before filling every room. The useful exercise now is a cash-flow calendar: estimated closing costs, moving invoices, insurance, any work identified by the inspection, and the first mortgage payment. Add a separate line for unknown repairs rather than assuming they will fit into whatever remains.
 
Completed examples can be misleading unless the houses and moving distances are similar. I’d use local examples mainly to price specific items, not to decide whether the total reserve is adequate. Once the inspection arrives, sort each finding into urgent, within a year, and optional. If the urgent category plus moving costs still leaves a meaningful emergency fund, that supports proceeding; if not, renegotiating plans or waiting is sensible.
 
This has exposed the weakness in my calculation: the €27,600 is currently one combined pot, so I was treating furniture money and emergency money as interchangeable. I’ll separate them, delay nonessential furniture, and build the cash-flow calendar before deciding. I’ll also confirm the first mortgage payment timing, insurance excess, and whether any service charges apply. The inspection findings will determine the urgent-repairs allowance rather than relying on the house looking maintained.
 
Back
Top