Is €9,200 enough cash left after buying a Dublin apartment?

alba.wood

First-time buyer
Established
The figure that changed my view was not the €920,000 price but the €9,200 I would have left after the deposit and estimated closing costs. This is a two-bedroom apartment in Dublin, and that remainder now feels less comfortable than it first did.

I may buy below my maximum instead, particularly if the inspection identifies work needed soon after completion. Before deciding, I need to allow for moving, the first mortgage payment, immediate repairs, service charges and a basic cash reserve. Furniture beyond day-one essentials can wait.

Would €9,200 still look workable if a service-charge bill and an ordinary repair arrived in the first few months, or does that leave too little room for error?
 
I’d protect the emergency portion first rather than treating the full €9,200 as a setup budget. Moving and essential repairs are time-sensitive; most furniture is not. Make a list of what you can bring, what the apartment must have on day one, and what can wait six months. If that leaves almost no general reserve, the purchase price is probably too close to your ceiling.
 
Also, have you included the timing of the first mortgage payment, the service charge and any insurance excess? For an apartment, I’d want to know whether a service-charge payment or planned building work could arrive soon after closing. Those details could matter more than the cost of furnishing the second bedroom.
 
I wouldn’t say €9,200 is automatically too little. It depends on how quickly monthly income can rebuild it and what the inspection actually finds. A well-kept apartment where you already own the basics is different from one needing appliances and repairs immediately. The danger is counting cosmetic inspection comments as urgent while overlooking a known large bill.
 
That’s fair, but the buffer needs testing before the inspection rather than after it. I’d split findings into safety or damage prevention, necessary within the first year, and purely cosmetic. Then add the known moving and payment dates. If the emergency fund gets used to make the numbers fit, it isn’t really an emergency fund.
 
This is helpful. I had been mentally combining the whole €9,200 into one pot, including furniture, which made it look more flexible than it is. I’ll separate the first mortgage payment, service-charge timing, moving costs and a protected emergency amount before deciding my maximum offer. I’ll also ask specifically about planned building work and delay furnishing the second bedroom.
 
Run three versions before bidding: no unexpected work, one moderate repair, and a repair plus an insurance excess or building-related payment. Use actual moving quotes and the apartment documents where available rather than round guesses. If only the best-case version preserves emergency cash, reduce the offer ceiling; if all three work, the €9,200 figure is easier to defend.
 
Back
Top