Is Idealista useful for a student-housing search in Munich?

plantsAndMap

Seller
Established
I’m looking for student housing in Munich, Germany, and deciding whether Idealista is worth including in my search. My priorities are current listings, reliable map pins and floor-area figures that can actually be compared. Duplicate adverts would be manageable, but not if they also have conflicting status or details.

I’d also like useful mobile filters and saved-search alerts. Price history or links to sold records would be a bonus, although clarity about what happens after contacting an advertiser matters more. What should I test before relying on it?
 
Start with a small saved search and track the same results for several days. Note whether removed properties return, whether apparent duplicates share photos or contact details, and how quickly alerts arrive. Then contact a few relevant advertisers and record whether the property is still available. That will tell you more about freshness than the number of listings shown.
 
What kind of student housing do you mean: a room, a self-contained unit, or either? The floor-area issue changes with that answer. An advert might show the bedroom area, the whole shared apartment, or a figure that is not clearly defined. Filtering by square metres could therefore remove useful options rather than improve the shortlist.
 
Also, what do you expect from the “next transaction step”? If you only want a clear contact route, that is one test. If you expect viewing arrangements, document exchange or payment guidance within the portal, that is a much larger requirement and should not be assumed from a contact button.
 
I’d put sold-price history near the bottom of the list for this search. Student housing is commonly compared by the actual space and terms being offered, so an older sale record may not explain the current asking price or rent. Freshness, complete costs and a clear description of private versus shared space are more useful.
 
I partly disagree. Price history can still flag a listing that deserves more questions, provided the record is clearly linked to the same property and not merely a nearby address. It should not be treated as a valuation, but it can add context. The important part is whether Idealista shows where the historical figure came from and what it describes.
 
Fair distinction, but a map pin can create the same false confidence. I’d verify the written location rather than judging commute time from the pin alone, especially if the marker appears approximate. On mobile, test whether changing map boundaries preserves your other filters; otherwise the app may produce a shortlist that looks precise while quietly broadening the search.
 
A simple comparison sheet would settle most of this: URL, first-seen date, last-seen date, stated area, what that area covers, map location, total advertised cost, duplicate clues, contact date and response. Use the same search criteria on any other marketplace you are considering. After a week or two, you should see whether Idealista adds distinct, contactable options or mostly repetition.
 
That gives me a better test than browsing casually. I’m looking at both rooms and self-contained student units, so I’ll separate those searches rather than compare their floor-area fields directly. I’ll prioritise availability after contact, total cost and location accuracy, while treating sold records only as background. I’ll also test alerts and map filtering on mobile before deciding whether to keep Idealista in the routine.
 
Back
Top