Is R$72,800 enough cash to keep after buying a country home?

drawTheHarbor

Tenant planning to buy
Established
Moving, basic furniture and unknown repairs will all have to come from the same R$72,800 pot. The country home appears well maintained and the mortgage payment is manageable, but an inspection will not remove every risk.

Furniture can be postponed; an insurance excess, urgent inspection finding or household emergency cannot. I am therefore trying to divide the money into protected reserves, known moving costs and purchases that can wait, rather than judging the total as one large buffer.

What would you ring-fence before closing, and which first expenses would you deliberately defer? If the emergency portion looks too thin after allowing for the move and immediate safety work, we would save longer. Otherwise, living with a few empty rooms seems the easier consequence to reverse.
 
I would not delay based on the figure alone. Split it before deciding: protected emergency fund, moving costs, urgent inspection items, and optional furniture. If the protected portion can cover both household emergencies and a property problem without relying on credit, R$72,800 may be reasonable. Empty rooms are less dangerous than an empty reserve.
 
What is included in “estimated closing costs”? I would confirm whether the first mortgage payment, insurance, utility setup and any service charges fall inside or outside that estimate. A buffer can look generous until several predictable bills arrive together.
 
Good point from Amir. I’d also wait for the inspection before treating the whole R$72,800 as available. Findings do not need to be dramatic to change the calculation: several smaller immediate repairs can consume the amount assigned to moving and basic furniture.
 
One practical approach is to price the move and only the furniture required for daily life. Beds, a table and essential appliances belong in the initial plan; filling every room does not. Keep the rest untouched for the first few months while you learn how the home behaves.
 
I’m slightly more cautious. A country home may have maintenance needs that are easy to overlook during a viewing, even when it looks cared for. I would want the reserve to survive an insurance excess and an urgent repair at the same time. If that would nearly exhaust it, delaying could still be sensible.
 
That caution is fair, but there is also a cost to waiting, even if it cannot be predicted from the information here. I wouldn’t set an arbitrary larger target. I’d use the inspection to list items as immediate, near-term or cosmetic, then test the reserve against the first two groups.
 
Also ask the inspector to explain priorities rather than just handing over a list. A long report can make every defect feel urgent when some items may simply need monitoring. The decision should turn on likely timing and impact, not the number of observations.
 
Before committing, make a closing-day cash schedule rather than one total. Put down when the purchase costs, move, insurance, first mortgage payment and any service charges are expected. Then add a separate allowance for inspection findings. That should expose any short period where the account balance becomes uncomfortably low.
 
My answer would therefore be conditional: proceed if the inspection does not reveal major immediate work and a meaningful part of the R$72,800 can remain fenced off after moving and essential purchases. If the plan depends on furnishing quickly or assumes no repairs, the buffer is being counted twice. Decide the minimum untouched amount now, before emotion takes over.
 
Back
Top