Is S$22,780 enough cash left after buying a S$1,762,000 home?

A decision is due soon. The choice is between proceeding with the 4-bed detached home at roughly S$1,762,000 and keeping a safer amount of cash available.

My estimate leaves S$22,780 after the deposit and expected completion costs. That would still need to cover the move, any urgent inspection findings and possibly the home insurance excess if something went wrong early on. I am leaning toward protecting an emergency reserve first, paying only for essential moving and furniture, then dealing with necessary repairs before furnishing the spare rooms. Is that a sensible order, or is the remaining balance too thin even with spending staged that way?
 
S$22,780 sounds tight unless your income can rebuild it quickly. I would protect the emergency fund first, then reserve known moving costs and money for urgent inspection items. Furniture would come last; empty rooms are inconvenient, but they do not usually require immediate spending. Also keep enough available for the first mortgage payment rather than assuming every payment date will align neatly with completion.
 
The missing fact is your essential monthly spending after the purchase, including the mortgage. S$22,780 could represent a reasonable runway for one household and very little for another. Do you also have any separate savings, or is that the entire liquid balance? I’d budget only the basic move and furniture needed immediately, then wait a few months before filling four bedrooms.
 
I wouldn’t decide from the balance alone. A clean inspection, predictable income and low moving costs make the position different from one involving ageing systems or several uncertain repairs. Conversely, I would not let a reassuring inspection justify spending the whole remainder: inspections cannot reveal every first-year expense. The condition of the home should determine the repair reserve, while the emergency fund stays separate.
 
Before committing, turn the S$22,780 into named amounts rather than one general buffer. Confirm the actual moving quote, ask what the insurance excess would be, clarify whether this detached property has any estate or service charges, and verify when the first mortgage payment is due. Then price the inspection findings by urgency: safety or damage prevention first, cosmetic work later. If those figures leave no meaningful emergency reserve, buying below your maximum seems sensible.
 
I agree with Bianca that there is no useful fixed percentage without the inspection and monthly outgoings. Still, the fact that this is a 4-bed home creates plenty of opportunities to spend gradually. I would move with existing furniture where possible and leave nonessential rooms sparse. If the urgent-work reserve plus moving and the first payment consume most of S$22,780, that is a strong signal to lower the purchase budget.
 
Back
Top