I’ve checked three Paris agent proposals—what does each fee actually cover?

anika_reads

Property manager
I need to choose an agent shortly. The cheaper proposal is attractive, but the three quotes for selling my detached home in Paris divide the work very differently, with some services bundled and others billed as extras.

I want to compare more than the headline fee. How would you test recent results, buyer screening, availability during negotiations and support if an agreed sale falls through? I also need to know who takes over after an offer, whether the person pitching remains the contact, and how any conflicts are disclosed.

Would you ask all three agents to price the same hypothetical transaction, or first shortlist them on service and negotiate the fee afterward? Please note any local practice behind advice from outside France.
 
One complication: the proposals describe tasks but not always their limits. “Photography included” does not say what is delivered, and “negotiation” does not explain who handles competing or conditional offers. I also want to establish whether the person presenting the proposal remains my named contact. How would you get these promises into a genuinely comparable form?
 
Give each agent the same hypothetical sale and ask for a written, itemised response. What is the fee based on, what costs can be added, who qualifies buyers, who attends viewings, and who communicates after an offer is accepted? For photography, ask what is included rather than accepting the heading. I would also ask for typical response times, including evenings or weekends, without assuming constant availability.
 
I would not make included photography the deciding factor. A fuller package can still be poor value if enquiries are handled slowly or buyers reach the offer stage without adequate qualification.

Also ask how offers are presented and whether any relationship with a buyer or another party would be disclosed. The answer may tell you more than a long service list.
 
Build a one-page table using the same sale price assumption for all three proposals. Separate the fee basis, included work, optional charges, named contact, response expectations, buyer qualification and post-agreement support.

Then ask each agent what happens in two awkward cases: the buyer tries to renegotiate late, or the transaction starts to fall through. You are not looking for guarantees, just who takes responsibility and what communication you can expect. For anything contractual, compare the actual wording under the applicable French terms rather than relying on the presentation.
 
Gabriel’s awkward-case questions are especially useful. I would add one practical test: ask each agent to explain how they would handle two offers with different conditions, not merely which price they would recommend. That exposes their process and communication style.

Recent results can add context, but they are not automatically comparable unless the homes, timing and instructions were similar. I would give more weight to clear responsibilities and transparent extras.
 
Back
Top