Jakarta buyer learning how to compare townhouse prices

Hello from Jakarta. I’m preparing for a first property purchase and currently concentrating on townhouses. My main difficulty is getting from advertised prices to a realistic view of completed prices while also allowing for transaction costs.

I joined because I want to compare methods across markets rather than stay inside one local bubble. For anyone following Indonesia, where would you begin on the local board: a particular discussion about market data, first-purchase costs, or legal due diligence?
 
One detail worth adding to your notes is the date each figure was recorded. I’d then keep asking prices, verified completion evidence and costs beyond the purchase price in separate columns.

Include condition and basic property details as well. That gives you a workable comparison without treating an older renovated home as equivalent to a current listing that still needs work.
 
What does “townhouse” mean in your search—part of a managed development or simply a house with that style? That affects what you need to investigate. Also, are you buying primarily to live in it or modelling it as an investment? The useful data and questions will differ.
 
I’d be cautious about comparing Jakarta too closely with other markets. The research method may transfer, but transaction costs, ownership arrangements, lending and what counts as a completed-price record can be jurisdiction-specific. Cross-market discussions are still useful for learning what to ask; they are less useful for importing assumptions or price ratios.
 
Agreed, although comparisons can still expose missing items. For an investment model I’d include financing, maintenance, management, renovation and periods without income rather than focusing only on the purchase discount. For a home, mortgage terms and the condition of the property may matter more than a theoretical yield.
 
I’d prefer to identify a fair buying range, but the shortage of reliable completed figures makes a tight shortlist premature. Track a small set of genuinely comparable Jakarta homes first, recording price changes, condition, location and any management obligations.

That record may reveal more than a single estimated sale price. Where the final figure cannot be verified, mark it as unknown or estimated rather than using the last advertised price as though it were completed evidence.
 
Before narrowing the shortlist, make two question lists: one for the lender and one for the legal side. Put borrowing comparisons, fees and repayment assumptions on the first; ownership, contract terms and development obligations on the second. The exact answers depend on Indonesia and your circumstances, so forum comparisons should help frame questions rather than replace local professional advice.
 
Back
Top