Jakarta detached home: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

jade_deals

Real estate lawyer
Established
Founding Member
We would like to keep the Jakarta purchase alive, but the ownership and tax position is still too unclear to answer the seller. The detached home is priced at about IDR 8,068,000,000, and our adviser has warned that the structure needs careful review.

Before discussing price further, I want a licensed local professional to provide a written itemisation tied to the exact title and proposed ownership route. My draft list includes transfer tax, registration, notary and legal costs, recurring property charges, capital-gains treatment, residency consequences and inheritance planning.

What else should be separated into buyer and seller costs, and which documents or facts should be confirmed before any estimate is treated as reliable?
 
First ask for the exact title and the ownership route being proposed. Until those are clear, a percentage estimate for closing costs may be misleading. I would also request separate lines for buyer costs, seller costs, registration, notary work and annual charges rather than one bundled figure. Does the IDR 8,068,000,000 quote say whether any transaction taxes or fees are included?
 
It is only a headline purchase price; the draft estimate does not say that taxes are included. Notary and registration costs are bundled together, and the ownership route has not been confirmed. That lack of detail is why I paused. I’ll ask for the title, the proposed structure and a buyer-versus-seller breakdown before discussing the price further.
 
I would go further and ask for two written scenarios if more than one ownership structure is genuinely available to you. Compare not just closing day but annual charges, residency dependencies, resale and what happens on death. A cheaper setup initially can be the wrong comparison if it creates inheritance or disposal complications later. I would not let the seller’s preferred structure determine that analysis.
 
One caveat: separating “seller costs” does not automatically make them irrelevant, because the contract and negotiated price may shift the economic burden. Ask your independent local adviser to mark each item as legally payable by buyer or seller, contractually allocated, one-off or recurring. Then have them identify any assumptions tied to residency, future capital gains and inheritance. If they cannot itemise the bundled notary and registration amount, request a revised estimate before committing.
 
Back
Top