Jakarta first purchase: is IDR 684.6m enough cash to keep after closing?

ben_rates

First-time buyer
IDR 684,600,000 sounds like a substantial reserve, but one building charge could change that quickly. The purchase under consideration is a 4-bed serviced apartment in Jakarta at about IDR 18,340,000,000, and that is the estimated amount remaining after the deposit and closing costs.

Furniture is the easy item to postpone. Before treating the rest as available, should I deduct the first mortgage payment, moving costs, service charges and a general emergency reserve, then fund only urgent inspection repairs? I’m trying to work out what monthly cash flow or building-cost information would make this comfortable rather than merely possible.
 
I’d keep the emergency fund separate first, including enough for the first mortgage payment and normal living costs. Then reserve distinct amounts for moving and only inspection items that affect safety, water, electricity or habitability. Furniture gets whatever remains and can be added gradually.

Also ask for the serviced apartment’s upcoming service charges before deciding that IDR 684.6m is truly available.
 
I’d be more cautious than that until the inspection and building costs are clear. In an apartment, the expensive surprise may not be your own roof or boiler but a shared-building charge, an insurance excess or an item excluded from building maintenance.

Is the IDR 684,600,000 figure after the first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance and moving deposits? If not, deduct those first. Then sort inspection findings into urgent, first-year and cosmetic work before deciding whether the purchase price leaves enough room.
 
Back
Top