Johannesburg “coastal homes”: market signal or category problem?

holdTheRoom

Property investor
A bad category definition could make the entire comparison misleading. For May 2026 I found a small group described as Johannesburg coastal homes, with asking prices from ZAR 14,410,000 to ZAR 21,620,000 and roughly 87 days of current marketing time.

The word “coastal” is the obvious problem because Johannesburg is inland. It may be a portal label, a project name or evidence that properties from different locations have been combined. Before treating the figures as a market signal, I need to know what is actually included and whether the 87 days covers active listings or completed transactions.

Recent sale prices, withdrawal numbers and the timing of reductions would help. I am also curious whether financing constraints at this price level explain some of the slower listings better than transaction fees do.
 
Before reading anything into 87 days, I would resolve the word “coastal.” Johannesburg is inland, so either the location or the category is mixing unlike properties. That could distort the result more than any genuine market movement. Also, is 87 days an average across current listings, and have any actually completed recently?
 
The missing comparison is new-listing volume against withdrawn stock. If more homes are appearing while older ones quietly disappear, the visible marketing period can look stable even as sellers struggle. I’d also record when the first price cut occurs rather than only counting total days advertised.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries could explain a lot in such a narrow, expensive band. Two properties at similar asking prices may differ substantially in condition, plot, outlook and renovation needs. With a small group, one unusually dated home can pull the marketing period around. I would split the properties by precise area and condition before calling it a shift.
 
One other clarification: what is included under transaction fees? If you are comparing total acquisition cost, separate the property price from transfer-related, financing and other transaction costs rather than combining them into one figure. Buyer financing may also matter differently from one property to the next.
 
I agree the geography needs explaining, but I wouldn’t discard the observations automatically. “Coastal homes” might describe properties elsewhere being marketed to Johannesburg buyers rather than homes physically in Johannesburg. If so, the sample could still answer a useful question—but it would be a buyer-market study, not evidence of change within Johannesburg.
 
That distinction is exactly why completed-sale locations matter. If the homes are on the coast, group them by their actual neighbourhoods and note Johannesburg only as the intended buyer pool, if that is really how the category was formed. Otherwise recent sales, listing periods and price cuts are being attributed to the wrong local market.
 
A simple property-by-property sheet would settle most of this: actual location, initial asking price, current price, first price-cut date, days marketed, condition, financing status if known, withdrawn or sold, and completed price where available. Add a short note on seller motivation only when it is known rather than inferred. Then compare like with like inside the ZAR 14,410,000–ZAR 21,620,000 range.
 
On the facts given, I’d call it unresolved rather than an early turn. An 87-day marketing period among active properties cannot show whether sellers accepted lower prices, withdrew, or are simply patient. A change becomes more persuasive if completed sales weaken alongside rising new listings, earlier price cuts or more withdrawals. First fix the coastal/Johannesburg classification, then watch those measures through the next set of transactions.
 
Back
Top