Johannesburg first purchase: is ZAR 382,200 enough cash to retain?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a 2-bed country home around ZAR 8,190,000 in Johannesburg. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have roughly ZAR 382,200 left.

How would you divide that between emergency savings, moving costs, immediate repairs, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment? The inspection may uncover ordinary first-year work, and I still need to confirm any service charges. Furniture can wait; roof or boiler problems cannot. I would rather lower my purchase ceiling than turn every repair into a financial emergency.
 
I would not allocate the whole amount in advance. First ring-fence the emergency fund and enough for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and moving. Keep the remainder untouched until the inspection report lets you prioritise repairs; furniture comes last.

Is the ZAR 382,200 calculated after every payment due around transfer, or only your current estimate? Also, will this be your main home, or are rental-yield assumptions part of making the mortgage affordable?
 
I’d be more cautious. Against an ZAR 8,190,000 purchase, that remaining cash could shrink quickly if the inspection flags roof work or several smaller defects together. Service charges and moving costs also recur or overlap rather than arriving neatly one at a time.

Ask for repair estimates before deciding, confirm the timing of the first mortgage debit and insurance payment, then model a bad first year rather than an average one. If that leaves no meaningful emergency fund, buying below the maximum seems sensible.
 
Back
Top