ZAR 163,800 is what I expect to retain if I buy a 1-bed Johannesburg condo priced at about ZAR 3,276,000. That sounds like a reasonable cushion until I list everything it may need to cover.
The inspection is still pending, so some of that cash may have to go toward early repairs. I also need to budget for the move, initial service charges, an insurance excess and the date the first mortgage instalment falls due. Furniture can be added slowly.
Would you ring-fence fixed move-in expenses first, then set separate amounts for repairs and general emergencies? I’m particularly interested in which inspection results would make this reserve look too small.
The inspection is still pending, so some of that cash may have to go toward early repairs. I also need to budget for the move, initial service charges, an insurance excess and the date the first mortgage instalment falls due. Furniture can be added slowly.
Would you ring-fence fixed move-in expenses first, then set separate amounts for repairs and general emergencies? I’m particularly interested in which inspection results would make this reserve look too small.