horizon.friendly
Homeowner
The mortgage looks possible. The first 90 days are what concern me.
I’m looking at a 1-bed Johannesburg townhouse priced around ZAR 20,570,000, with about ZAR 254,800 available once the upfront purchase expenses are covered. That money may need to absorb moving costs, the initial mortgage instalment, townhouse charges, an insurance excess and any urgent inspection findings. Basic furniture would come from the same pot.
Would you ring-fence the essential bills and repair allowance first, then leave the balance as an emergency fund? At this price, I’m wondering whether choosing a less expensive property would be safer than starting with such a limited cushion.
I’m looking at a 1-bed Johannesburg townhouse priced around ZAR 20,570,000, with about ZAR 254,800 available once the upfront purchase expenses are covered. That money may need to absorb moving costs, the initial mortgage instalment, townhouse charges, an insurance excess and any urgent inspection findings. Basic furniture would come from the same pot.
Would you ring-fence the essential bills and repair allowance first, then leave the balance as an emergency fund? At this price, I’m wondering whether choosing a less expensive property would be safer than starting with such a limited cushion.