Johannesburg first-time buyer: is ZAR 546,000 enough cash after closing on a 2-bed?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
Splitting the cash into neat categories sounds sensible, but I suspect the better approach is to identify what cannot be postponed. I am considering a 2-bed Johannesburg apartment for about ZAR 20,660,000 and expect roughly ZAR 546,000 to remain once the deposit and current closing-cost estimate are covered.

The inspection is lengthy, though the apartment seems fundamentally sound and many items appear to be routine early work. Before deciding whether the buffer is adequate, what should I confirm about urgent repairs, moving expenses, the insurance excess and recurring building charges? Furniture can wait; I do not want a minor defect to upset the whole budget.
 
You have checked the deposit and estimated closing costs; the unclear part is what becomes payable immediately after completion. I would protect the normal emergency reserve first, then account separately for moving, the insurance excess, the next mortgage instalment and any building charges due at once.

Only cash left after those items should be assigned to inspection work or furniture. A delayed sofa is manageable. A repair that is actively worsening is not.
 
Does the ZAR 546,000 remain after every payment connected with moving in, or only after your current closing-cost estimate? Also, what are the apartment’s regular service charges? The monthly carrying cost matters more than the number of bedrooms when deciding how much emergency cash you need.
 
ZAR 546,000 is the figure I would stress-test. It may look adequate until two inspection items need attention at the same time or an omitted moving cost appears.

Separate cosmetic observations from defects that could deteriorate, then obtain prices for the latter. If those quotes, the known move-in expenses and regular charges still leave a protected reserve, the buffer may work; if not, the ZAR 20,660,000 purchase is probably too tight.
 
One practical addendum: make three lists from the report—before moving in, within the first year, and optional. Put furniture at the bottom except for essentials. If the first list plus moving, the insurance excess, service charges and the first mortgage payment leave too little untouched emergency cash, that supports your instinct to buy below the maximum rather than stretching for this apartment.
 
Back
Top