Johannesburg first-time buyer: where should I start?

canvas.small

First-time buyer
Hello from Johannesburg. I’m a first-time buyer trying to decide whether a serviced apartment belongs on my shortlist or is too complicated for a first purchase. Most of my research time is going into transaction costs, property management and the gap between advertised and completed prices.

I joined because I’d like to compare methods across markets rather than stay in one local bubble. If you follow South Africa, which local-board thread or market dataset would you read first? I’m also interested in any simple investment model or legal checklist that helps turn browsing into a proper comparison.
 
Welcome! I’d begin with the local board’s recent discussions of completed sales, then build your own small comparison sheet rather than hunting for one perfect dataset. Record asking price, completed price where available, time period, location, unit size, condition and recurring charges. Ten genuinely comparable properties will teach you more than a large mixed list.
 
Is the apartment intended mainly as your home, a long-term rental, or short-stay accommodation? That changes what information matters. For a home, affordability and livability may dominate; for an investment, management costs, realistic occupancy assumptions and the exit market need separate attention. “Serviced apartment” can otherwise hide several very different plans.
 
The completed-sales sheet is a useful starting point, especially if the properties are genuinely comparable. I would add columns for compulsory building charges, planned work, renovation costs and any limits on how the unit can be occupied or managed.

That gives you a workable compromise: use completed prices to test the asking figure, then compare the total cash needed and the monthly position. A cheaper purchase can still be the weaker option if the recurring costs are heavy. I would also run a cautious investment case rather than relying on the occupancy or income shown in an advertisement.
 
For mortgage comparisons, keep the property decision separate from the loan decision. Put each financing option into the same template: deposit, monthly payment assumptions, fees, and what happens if your costs rise. Then ask lenders to explain anything that is not comparable. It makes the conversations much less confusing.
 
A practical sequence could be: choose two Johannesburg areas, define one narrow unit type, collect comparable listings and completed prices, then inspect a few examples. Before committing, have the transaction costs and legal documents explained by appropriate local professionals. For serviced apartments, ask who manages the unit, which charges are compulsory, what the owner controls, and how resale would work.
 
Also keep renovation as a separate line in the model. Buyers often compare a tired unit with a finished one as though the price difference were pure savings. Even without estimating every item immediately, label work as essential, optional or unknown. The unknown category is useful—it shows which questions must be answered during viewings instead of being buried in an optimistic total.
 
Back
Top