Johannesburg inventory changed in June 2026 — what does a 75-day window really show?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I’d like to work out whether Johannesburg buyers are becoming more selective, but the figures I have may not be comparable. Since June 2026, well-finished studios in my sample have taken about 75 days to move, while properties requiring work appear to linger.

The difference I can see between advertised and completed prices is only around 0.3%. That feels too tight to accept without checking whether I have mixed listing dates, later price reductions or different transaction periods. Low sales volume or seasonal variation could also be distorting it.

Has anyone seen the same pattern within particular neighbourhoods, and what transaction volume sits behind it?
 
My first suspicion would be the data rather than a sudden market shift. A 0.3% gap can look convincing if you compare the final advertised price with the completed price, but it misses earlier reductions. You would need the original asking price, every revision, and the relevant completion date for each property.
 
How many properties are behind the 75-day figure, and does June 2026 mean listings first advertised in June or everything visible during June? Those are different groups. A few polished studios leaving the market can move the result sharply if the sample is small.
 
I would not dismiss the selectivity explanation. Studios in good condition and larger homes needing work are not substitutes for every buyer, so their different selling times may reflect financing limits, renovation appetite and property type rather than a citywide direction. Split the sample before trying to explain the average.
 
Transaction volume matters too. A narrow asking-to-sold gap does not automatically mean a strong market if only the most realistically priced properties complete. The ambitious listings can sit outside the completed-deal sample entirely, making the successful deals look closer to asking than the full inventory really is.
 
What counts as “moving” in your tracking—marked sold, removed from advertising, or a completed transaction? A removed listing may have been withdrawn or relisted, while completed data can refer to an agreement reached earlier. I would also keep the date when each asking-price change first appeared.
 
Those questions expose the weakness in my notes. The 75 days is the observed advertising period, not the time to legal completion, and June 2026 was a snapshot of active inventory rather than a clean June listing cohort. I also used the latest visible asking price where revision history was incomplete. So the 0.3% should be treated as a clue to investigate, not a firm market measure.
 
That clarification makes a big difference. I would divide Johannesburg into the actual suburbs you follow, then separate studios from larger homes and renovated properties from those needing work. Even without a huge sample, that prevents one active pocket or one property category from being mistaken for a Johannesburg-wide change.
 
A practical reset would be to freeze a cohort on one date and follow it forward. Record original ask, revisions, days advertised, removal status and any completed price that later becomes available. Keep withdrawn and relisted properties separate. Then compare the June 2026 cohort with another period using the same method rather than mixing live listings with delayed completions.
 
I would add one more column for the date of any financing or policy development you think could influence demand, but avoid assigning cause merely because the dates overlap. With only 75 days, seasonal timing and publication delays could easily resemble a response to policy. The cohort method should show whether the pattern persists.
 
The revised description sounds less like proof of a 0.3% market-wide gap and more like a useful hypothesis. I would revisit it once more completed prices can be matched to the frozen listings. If polished studios still leave sooner within the same neighbourhood and period, the buyer-selectivity argument becomes much stronger.
 
Back
Top