Johannesburg inventory shifted in May 2025 — what are you seeing?

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I’m tracking the Johannesburg market and the mix seemed to change in May 2025. Well-presented apartments were moving in roughly 38 days, while homes needing work stayed available longer. What I cannot reconcile is asking prices versus completed deals: the visible gap appears close to 0.2%.

Is this seasonal noise, or are buyers becoming more selective? I’d especially value completed transactions or direct neighbourhood observations. Please say which part of Johannesburg you follow rather than applying a citywide headline to every area. Agents are giving me conflicting explanations.
 
A 0.2% gap is too small to interpret without knowing how the two figures were matched. Is that original asking price, latest asking price after reductions, or asking price on the date an offer was accepted? Also, are the sold figures registered transactions or agent-reported agreements? Different dates and definitions could erase or enlarge that gap.
 
The 38-day figure needs a sample size and distribution too. Ten quick apartment sales and a large tail of unsold listings could produce a very different picture from broad, steady demand. I would separate apartments by neighbourhood and price band, then compare May with several earlier months. One month alone cannot distinguish seasonality from a change in buyer preferences.
 
If a decision must be made from the May figures now, I would use them only to choose what to investigate next, not to declare a stronger Johannesburg market. The split between renovated stock and homes needing work may be real, and even a rough 38-day measure can signal that buyers are becoming more selective.

The harder-to-reverse conclusion is that demand has improved. Faster sales combined with lower transaction volume could simply mean that a small group of well-presented properties completed while the rest remained unsold. I would verify the number of completed deals, the sample behind the marketing-time figure and whether earlier releases were revised before relying on the headline.
 
Was the May 2025 data published once, or has it since been revised as more sales were recorded? That timing could explain why listing activity looks current while completed transactions lag. I’d also check whether any policy or financing change fell near the measurement period, without assuming it affected every Johannesburg submarket equally.
 
A practical way to test this would be a small matched table: neighbourhood, property type, original ask, final ask, completed price, first-listing date and completion date. Keep withdrawn and relisted properties visible rather than silently resetting their marketing time. That would show whether the apparent selectivity is about condition, location, price reductions or relisting practices.
 
Yes, and I’d report the results in two layers rather than chasing one Johannesburg-wide answer. First show matched sales where asking and completed prices genuinely refer to the same property; then show inventory and transaction volume by neighbourhood. If the 38 days and 0.2% survive that treatment across several months, the trend becomes more persuasive. If not, May was probably mix or timing noise.
 
Back
Top