Johannesburg student housing: are longer listings signalling a shift?

chooseTheMap

Property investor
Established
My December 2024 search is producing more Johannesburg student-housing listings, but not many I would actually buy. I tracked a narrow group priced from ZAR 7,935,000 to ZAR 11,900,000 rather than relying on a citywide average. Their marketing period is roughly 73 days, and property condition and maintenance burden seem more important than the headline monthly income.

Does this look like ordinary building-level variation, or the beginning of a broader change in this segment?
 
I would assume property-level variation until recent completed sales say otherwise. Asking stock can sit longer because sellers are ambitious, while withdrawn listings can make demand look healthier than it is. Compare achieved prices, time to the first reduction and whether the same properties are repeatedly relisted.
 
You have already limited the price range, but it is still unclear whether the properties serve the same student market. Buildings near different Johannesburg campuses can face very different demand even when they all fall between ZAR 7,935,000 and ZAR 11,900,000.

I would divide the 73-day figure by campus catchment before treating it as a segment-wide signal. I would also define the maintenance measure: visible condition, disclosed recurring expenses and estimated repair work are not interchangeable. Comparing those narrower groups, including withdrawn listings, should show whether this is a wider shift or simply a few difficult buildings.
 
I’m less comfortable dismissing it as property-level noise. More new listings plus around 73 days on market could be an early signal, especially if reductions are happening sooner than before. Completed sales are useful but backward-looking. I’d also watch seller motivation: an owner testing a high price is different from one cutting quickly because a sale is needed.
 
Buyer financing may be the missing piece. At ZAR 7,935,000 to ZAR 11,900,000, the pool of buyers and their funding position could affect marketing time independently of student demand. A building can show attractive gross rent and still be difficult to finance or justify after repairs and recurring costs. Cash and financed offers should not automatically be read as equivalent evidence.
 
Good questions. By maintenance I mean the visible condition, likely repair burden and ongoing upkeep rather than one consistent published expense figure. I also haven’t separated withdrawn properties from genuine sales yet, which may be distorting the roughly 73-day figure.

My next pass will use tighter neighbourhood groups, record first price-cut dates and distinguish completed, withdrawn and relisted stock. That should show whether the extra supply is broad or concentrated among weaker buildings.
 
Keep the original listing date when something is relisted; otherwise the marketing period resets and understates how long the seller has been trying. I’d make one row per property, then log asking-price changes, condition issues, outcome and any known financing obstacle. That will also stop duplicate listings from being counted as new supply.
 
The OP’s revised approach should answer this better than a single citywide number. If well-maintained properties within the same tight area are also taking longer and reducing prices, the case for a segment change becomes stronger. If the delay sits mainly with repair-heavy or repeatedly relisted buildings, it is probably selection and seller expectations rather than a Johannesburg-wide turn.
 
Back
Top