Keep an excellent tenant at AED 9,676 or move toward AED 10,850?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
I’d prefer to retain this tenant and narrow the rent gap gradually, but I do not want today’s discount to become unmanageable at the next renewal. The current rent is AED 9,676, against an apparent market level of AED 10,850.

The tenant has been dependable, keeps the home in good order and flags maintenance early. That stability has real value, especially if replacing them means vacancy, preparation work and uncertainty about the next occupant. I’m considering either a modest increase now or improvements followed by a later review.

Before deciding, I plan to check the lease, local notice requirements, genuine agreed rents for comparable properties and the maintenance record. Is there another fact that would materially change the calculation?
 
I’d lean toward a modest increase rather than jumping straight to AED 10,850. First verify the local notice and increase rules, then estimate the real cost of replacement: possible vacancy, preparation work, tenant-finding costs and uncertainty over payment reliability. One empty period could outweigh much of the extra rent. Give clear notice and explain that you are narrowing the gap gradually.
 
Before choosing the size of any increase, I’d challenge the AED 10,850 figure. Is that based on completed agreements for genuinely comparable properties, or asking prices? Also review this tenant’s maintenance history and how the deposit would be handled if they left. Improvements can support an increase, but ask what they actually value; spending money on an unwanted upgrade does not necessarily improve retention.
 
Back
Top