Keep more cash or furnish sooner after buying a Santiago condo?

LocalMap

First-time buyer
CLP 31,020,000 would remain once the deposit and estimated purchase costs are paid on a 5-bed Santiago condo priced around CLP 629,800,000. Candidly, that balance looks substantial until I consider how quickly a large home could consume it.

I need to allow for the first mortgage payment, condo service charges, moving, inspection issues and basic furniture. My tentative rule is to proceed if the cash left after urgent work still covers a proper emergency reserve; if safety, water or electrical repairs would eat into that reserve, I should reduce the purchase budget. Cosmetic work and furnishing spare bedrooms can wait. What recurring charges or early ownership costs am I overlooking?
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first and treat furniture as the flexible category. Before allocating anything, list the first mortgage payment, moving costs, initial service charges and any insurance excess you might have to cover. Then reserve a separate amount for inspection-related work. Furnish only the rooms you need immediately; a 5-bed place could absorb a lot of cash if you try to complete it at once.
 
I wouldn’t decide from the CLP 31,020,000 figure alone. What are the monthly mortgage payment and condo service charges, and are any building works or special charges being discussed? A buffer that looks comfortable before recurring costs can shrink quickly. Also, “ordinary work” is too broad: cosmetic items can wait, but water, electrical or security issues may not.
 
That’s fair—I was too quick to frame it as allocation percentages. I’d make the inspection and building-cost information the decision point: separate urgent findings from optional improvements, ask what service charges are due around completion, and map the first few months of mortgage and household expenses. Whatever remains after that can be the moving and furniture budget, rather than treating the full CLP 31,020,000 as spendable cash.
 
Back
Top