Keep or sell an Auckland 3-bed when management takes 12%?

walksAndThread

Property investor
Established
Selling now would keep things simple, but it could mean giving up a long-term Auckland hold. Keeping the three-bedroom would avoid that final decision, yet I would be relying on someone local to deal with tenants and repairs while I am elsewhere.

The management quotes are around 12%, with separate charges for items such as finding tenants and arranging work. That leaves very little from an ordinary month. A single vacancy or sizeable repair could turn the whole year negative.

How would you build the keep-versus-sell calculation from here? I am thinking about rates and other property-tax costs, insurance, vacancy, tenant turnover, financing and a proper maintenance reserve. It would also help to separate obligations that still fall on a New Zealand landlord from the amount of risk someone is personally willing to carry.
 
Almost no monthly surplus does not automatically mean sell. First calculate annual cash flow rather than multiplying one normal month by twelve. Include an allowance for vacancy, letting costs, insurance, rates, routine work and one larger repair. Then test what happens if financing costs rise. If the result becomes meaningfully negative under fairly ordinary assumptions, management is exposing a weak hold rather than causing it.
 
I would not decide from the monthly surplus yet. I would start with the manager’s written schedule.

A 12% quote could cover most day-to-day work, or it could sit alongside charges for inspections, new tenancies, maintenance administration and other services. Price those items using a realistic year, including one vacant month, and compare the result with the cash buffer available. That will show whether the problem is an expensive contract or a property that was already close to breaking even.
 
I would separate three issues. New Zealand tenancy obligations still need to be met, so confirm with an appropriate local source what remains your responsibility even when an agent is appointed. The management agreement determines what the manager actually handles. Your willingness to fund shortfalls is personal risk tolerance, not a legal standard.

Do not assume paying 12% makes the property passive or transfers every obligation.
 
I lean toward selling if the only reason to keep it is hoped-for future appreciation. Near-zero cash flow before a realistic vacancy and maintenance reserve is not really break-even. A three-bedroom property can also have expensive turnover even when nothing dramatic goes wrong. Remote ownership adds another layer of dependence on whoever is coordinating the work.
 
One distinction may change the comparison: management charges are additional costs, but most actual repairs, insurance and rates exist whether you self-manage or appoint someone. Put only the incremental management and coordination charges in one column, then calculate the property's full economics in another. Otherwise it is easy to blame the manager for an investment that already had little margin.
 
That is fair, but coordination fees can affect behaviour too. If every maintenance event attracts another charge, the annual cost may differ considerably from 12% of rent. Jonas should ask each manager for a worked example covering a new tenancy, a routine repair and a vacancy, without assuming those examples predict the future.
 
I would not make an irreversible sale decision from one style of quote. Compare several written proposals on the same rent and assumptions: percentage basis, letting charge, inspection or administration items, maintenance coordination, and what happens while vacant. Then model one tenant turnover during the holding period. The cheapest manager is not necessarily the best, but unclear pricing is difficult to budget around.
 
Also test the financing separately. A property that survives management fees today may fail after a loan-rate change, while a debt-free or lightly financed property presents a different choice. Run at least a current case, a vacant-month case and a higher-financing-cost case. If all three require cash injections, decide in advance how much you are genuinely prepared to contribute and for how long.
 
There is a middle course: set a firm decision threshold before moving. For example, obtain complete management proposals, update the rent assumption, estimate annual reserves and calculate net cash flow after financing and tax-related costs. If the conservative case falls below the amount you are willing to subsidise, sell. If it remains manageable, appoint locally and reassess after the first turnover rather than drifting indefinitely.
 
The practical order seems to be: verify the New Zealand obligations through an authoritative local channel, read the proposed management agreements, confirm insurance remains suitable for the rental arrangement, and build a twelve-month cash budget with vacancy and repairs included. Then compare that result with the net outcome of selling, including transaction and financing consequences specific to your situation. The 12% figure starts the discussion, but the size and duration of possible shortfalls should decide it.
 
Back
Top