Keep the Singapore rental with thin cash flow, or sell before moving?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
The managers I have spoken to say professional oversight is the sensible choice once I leave Singapore, and I understand their point. My hesitation is that the base charge is about 7% of rent before letting, tenant-turnover and repair-coordination costs, leaving very little monthly surplus on my present assumptions.

Rather than decide immediately between remote ownership and selling, I am considering pricing a trial year properly, including vacancy, insurance, maintenance and a change of tenant. Which figures or contract terms would you verify first, and what result would make you stop treating management as workable and prepare to sell?
 
First, ask each manager for an example of a complete annual statement, not just the 7% headline. You need to see when letting fees arise, whether coordination charges apply to every repair, and what happens at renewal or tenant turnover. Then model one ordinary year and one year with vacancy and maintenance. If both are uncomfortable, the property probably depends on appreciation rather than income.
 
How much debt is attached to it, and could the financing cost change after you leave? “Almost no surplus” can mean either barely positive after every allowance or positive only because vacancy and larger repairs have been ignored. Those are very different situations.
 
Also, is the current tenant likely to remain after your move? Paying a letting fee immediately makes the first remote year look much worse than a settled tenancy would. I would separate recurring management cost from turnover costs rather than treating everything as one permanent monthly expense.
 
I wouldn’t sell solely because management erases the visible cash flow. The manager is replacing work you currently do and reducing the practical risk of being unavailable. The better comparison is managed holding versus selling after all transaction costs and loss of future rental income—not managed holding versus self-management while nearby.
 
That is fair, but zero cash flow leaves no margin for surprises. Insurance, property tax, vacancy and maintenance reserves still exist even when a spreadsheet says the rent covers the regular bills. If Bianca would have to send money whenever a tenant leaves or a major repair appears, that funding burden should be treated as part of the decision.
 
Could a trusted local contact handle only urgent access while you retain the administrative side? I’m not suggesting informal management without clear authority; I’m asking whether the quotes are all for full service. A narrower arrangement might fit if the tenant is stable, although distance and time zones could still make it impractical.
 
Thanks—my “almost no surplus” figure includes the regular ownership costs, but I have not yet put a proper vacancy allowance or meaningful maintenance reserve into it. I also bundled recurring and tenant-turnover charges together, so Arjun’s distinction is useful. I’ll ask for itemised annual examples and clarify whether a limited service is available before comparing that with a sale.
 
Once you add those missing allowances, don’t let a small negative number automatically decide it either. Run financing sensitivity as well: current payment, a higher-cost case if your terms can change, and a vacancy during that period. The question is not merely whether you can cover it, but whether keeping that exposure still suits your wider finances.
 
I lean toward selling if the case for holding requires consistently low vacancy, minimal repairs and easy tenants. Remote ownership adds friction precisely when one of those assumptions fails. A manager can respond, but management does not transfer the cost of the problem away from you.
 
Before leaning either way, compare managers’ scopes. A 7% quote with clear handling of inspections, tenant communication and urgent repairs may not be equivalent to another 7% quote that charges separately for much of that work. Ask who approves spending, what requires your consent, and how emergencies are handled when you cannot reply quickly.
 
I would build a simple hold/sell table over the period you realistically expect to be away. For holding: rent less management, letting costs, vacancy, maintenance reserve, insurance, property tax and financing. Then note the cash needed in a bad year. For selling: use an actual likely net sale amount rather than the asking price. The important output is both expected return and worst-case cash demand.
 
One more practical issue: decide what would make you sell later. If you keep it for a trial year, set thresholds now—such as repeated cash injections, an extended vacancy, or management becoming too demanding. Otherwise “let’s see how it goes” can turn into indefinite remote ownership. With the itemised quotes and updated allowances, Bianca should be able to tell whether management is buying useful peace of mind or merely postponing a sale.
 
Back
Top